baking poppies

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

can I use organic baking poppies to plant for flowers? Thank you, I googled it with mixed ideas..nothing definite....Deb

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its worth a try just to see what happens.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love an experiment

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I do too and if it works it's so much cheaper than buying packets.....I think I'll try the paper towel sprouting test first....thanks for the response....Deb

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I would try them in planting soil firsts. The seeds will germinate if left in a cold place.
Just sprinkel them on the soil and gently ,lightly press so they wont relocate when watered. Set them is your garage or a cold place until April.
Bring them out and let them sprout in a warm room.
Dont over water. I would spray or mist to water until you have real stems and leaves.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

The black seeds should work fine. The white ones might be heat-treated and wouldn't germinate.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Thank you guys so much....my last years self sown poppies are popping up all over outside so I'm thankful I'll have those to look forward to this year. Last year I purchased bunches of seed off e-bay as well as local vendors and members of my garden club gave me seed...I mixed it with sand and sprayed all over one of our banks...from all of that I got one little Flanders Poppy.....this year I'm going to try again but thought using the cheap bread seed might be a better way to go.....I will post here as to what happens....thank you for your insight and encouragement.....Deb

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

If you've got snow, try broadcasting some seed on top of the snow. I read about this technique in a book on plant propagation, tried it with California poppy seed, and it worked.

Columbus, OH

My first annual poppies came from food poppy seed. A jar that I purchased had bugs, so I thought that I couldn't eat them, might as well plant them, whatever was growing inside would die (it was winter). I got low germination, but probably half a dozen really pretty lilac single poppies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info Celene

Calgary, Canada

Direct sowing of poppy seeds from the grocery store gave lots of lilac and white poppies.
They all came at once. Another time I would seed a few every ten days so the flowers came over a longer time period.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I've sown but nothing popping up yet. This year I will be a much better stewart of my blossoms. Last year I just sorta let everything take care of itself but am seeing lots of sprouts so should have access to lots of seed again.....Deb

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

WOW!!!! I got lots & lots of breadseed poppies!!!!!! I have them everywhere I sow them very dense...this is just one pic of them mixed in with my CA poppies....this next fall I will be sowing lots & lots of these seeds up on my naked north bank!!!! Thank all of you for your help & chat!!! Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

single colors

Thumbnail by Depsi
Calgary, Canada

They really are a spectacular floral show when seeded like that.
Way to go!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

just thought I would pass this along....not one of those bread seed poppies reseeded themselves....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.