Hello!

River Vale, NJ

Just wanted to introduce myself. I just joined these forums.

I knew NOTHING about gardening until about a year ago. I moved into a new house (northern NJ) and wanted to spruce things up a bit. Now I'm hooked! I did some initial work last spring, but I'm hoping to really forge ahead this year.

I'm so happy to have found this site, because I often have questions and don't know where to find answers.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. And I'm sure I'll get answers to my far-too-many questions, lol. Like how on earth do you find any plants that can survive shade AND squirrels AND deer AND rabbits. Eek!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome, you've come to the right place to find answers to all your questions :>) This forum has been a big help to me over the years.
Christine

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Welcome to the board, mbenson. I knew nothing about gardening before I joined this place, either. My garden is now a few years old and I am definitely still learning, but it's fun. My garden is almost all shade, and I don't find the squirrels to be much of a problem...luckily deer don't hop my fence and we apparently don't have rabbits. Good luck with those!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi mbenson - ask away

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to DG. Looking forward to hearing about your gardens. No plant is absolutely critter proof but some are not as tasty to them as others. A nice shrub for shade that they will leave alone is pieris or andromeda. A really nice grass that they seem to let be is hakonechloa and they do not like ferns or astilbe at least the Bambi types here don't. There are others and you can always stick in a few tastier ones and hope the others can keep them from getting nibbled. Then there are deterrent sprays of one sort or another. Other folks here will have a lot of answers for you too I am sure and once again welcome.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome! You joined the best forum so feel free to ask about anything.

My hellebore have never been touched by deer. Neither has mountain laurel or clethra.

A friend lived in River Vale for years. Nice area.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hi mbenson7, this truly is the best forum at Dave's you will love it her!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Welcome to the NE forum!!! The best forum on DG imho.

If you want...you to sign in here too,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837873/

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi mbenson! Welcome....we're happy you have joined us. This is the most helpful group of goofy people you'll ever find! And remember - there are no dumb questions for beginner gardeners. I, for one, still have tons of questions and love learning from my friends here. As Bill (wha) said....ask away! You'll find lots of good info and some good laughs too!
Louise

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mbenson7 hello & welcome!!!.. I can introduce you to some coleus for fill until you decide what plants you want to put in your shady spot

Allison

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi mbenson Welcome.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Welcome, Mbenson, this really is the greatest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.