Japanese Maple root stock

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I want to do some grafting on JM rootstock if I can find a reasonable dealer. does anyone do grafting and buy rootstock? Jim

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Grafting is very tricky . Don't let know it all's and blow hard's tell you otherwise . It is basically an easy process but unless you have the skill, which comes with years of practice, and more importantly the conditions , timing , environment , and set up you will likely get 20% at MOST the first year takes gradually increasing every year. A good EXPERIENCED grafter can get 75-80% or more..IF they have the proper set up . And then you have the natural death rate over the first year or so of a certain # of trees that took.will die from various causes .

If you want to play you can get root stock for a guy in Washington who has a grafting cd The trees aren't dirt cheap and shipping is pricey but you are not that far so it may be a better deal ..for me it was fine to play around with . His method used sheets of plastic to attain scion growth thru moisture retention .. all I got was mold and death ( not even a lousy t shirt ;>) ) but others have had success with that method.. He is an old dude and I can't remember the nursery but someone else will ...he is in WA.
To anyone wanting to graft a single loved tree on a lark be my guest but it will be basically a waist of time in most cases. Davidsan

This message was edited Feb 28, 2010 10:17 AM

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Davidsan, thanks for the heads up, Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.