Trouble with Coast Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens)

Reno, NV

My buddy lives in Coalinga, California and he has a Coast Redwood that is struggling. The tree is about 15 years old, about 40 ft. tall and is right next to another identical Coast Redwood of the same age and dimensions. The problem tree has all needles/branches dying on the outside 50% I'd estimate. The one next to it is doing great, green all around. It is still winter-time, so I doubt water is a problem, especially since its more wet than usual in his area. Added to it is the fact that the tree right next to it is doing fine. The only difference I can think of is he put in a sidewalk about 15 ft. from the root base and I think he might've caught some of the roots when he was digging. Even so, they would only be lateral roots, not tap, so I wouldn't think cutting a couple side roots would affect an established, tough tree. I know redwoods are pretty tough when it comes to disease/bugs, does anyone have any ideas why his tree would start dying from the ouside edges?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate anything I can pass along to him.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

bevo:

You've answered your own question. Unless there were toxic materials dumped around this redwood, it is easy to point to the new sidewalk construction as the source of detriment. It would be good to see the whole picture of the two trees and the sidewalk location to confirm, but I don't think that there is much question.

Quoting:
The only difference I can think of is he put in a sidewalk about 15 ft. from the root base and I think he might've caught some of the roots when he was digging. Even so, they would only be lateral roots, not tap, so I wouldn't think cutting a couple side roots would affect an established, tough tree.

You said the tree is about 15 years old and 40 feet tall. If there weren't obstructions to root extension during this tree's life, then that sidewalk construction could easily have destroyed at least a third of the root system on that side of the tree - maybe a lot more, depending on how far the root tips reached before being severed. The depth of construction disturbance would have some contribution, as would any other disturbance in the vicinity while the construction was going on - such as compaction of soil from equipment, change in soil grade when sidewalk area was excavated, dumping of construction debris or liquids while mixing, pouring, cleaning up cement. Rinsing out cement mixers or wheelbarrows from the preparation of concrete or mortar often puts caustic chemicals right on a tree's roots. Some of the products used to finish concrete surfaces or clean up mortar/brick is acid - NOT good for tree roots, especially recently severed systems.

The lateral growth of roots are the most important components of most temperate trees for exploiting soil moisture and nutrients. They are also incredibly important in stability and anchoring a very tall plant like redwood. This plant will have several problems since the sidewalk construction - loss of root volume to absorb moisture and nutrients, and potential instability on the side that the roots were severed. Likely, during the wet season, there will be potential pathogen problems affecting the cut root ends. Also, unstable trees have a higher likelihood of windthrow during wet seasons.

I'd like to see some pictures, so I don't come off totally as alarmist. Simple construction projects can have seriously unforeseen consequences, though, especially when it comes to excavations perilously close to the trunks/roots of very large trees. Your friend should consult with a reliable certified arborist as soon as possible concerning this tree. Have available a list of everything that was done prior to, during, and after the sidewalk construction project. That will be key information.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to VV. A tree's root system typically extends fan-like along the ground for a bit more than the tree is tall.

Resin

Reno, NV

Viburnum Valley and Resin,

Thanks for the input- I will try and get my buddy to send me a couple picks and show the distance (heck, and have him simply measure the distance) of the new sidewalk. Along with the needles, I guess I might be underestimating how far the roots spread.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for taking the time... more to follow...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.