News from Ranch Rehab

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

After the tragic summer and fall, Ranch Rehab is back in business. SOmeone brought me a lovely turkey hen with a broken leg. It is now set and she is cozied up in a straw filled pen with lots of food at her disposal.

All the fawns have moved out of the yard, but a week ago I came home to find 7 deer in my yard. I recognised all four of last year's fawns, plus one of the larger, older deer. The other two I believe were fawns from that one. They were all fat and happy and it was like they just stopped in to say hello. It makes it all worthwile when something like this happens.

There are still several of last year's squirrel and bunny babies hanging around and I noticed some very pregnant mommas. It won't be long before I get the first calls about orphan baby squirrels and Ranch Rehab will be in full swing.

For thoes of you still waiting for the book....so is the publisher. After a long dry spell of being unable to write, I'm back at it and plugging away. It will get done, I promise!

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations jy! I'm so glad your back in business!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

So nice the deer stopped in to say hi.....glad you are up and running!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that is so nice to hear.

i still think about Buck Wheat.

I've seen Buckwheat this winter. He is one big buck! It looked like he was a tall spike horn this year, with maybe one fork, but all are antlerless now.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

So neat that they came back for a visit.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So happy to hear the good news. And of the grateful visitors.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Any new news from Ranch Rehab?

This is a hard time at the ranch. Most of what you get in this time of the year is hopeless cases and you either have to put them down or watch them die. Baby season is just around the corner though and that perks me up.

The peacock knows it is almost time to breed and he is calling for Beep at dawn and dusk. He displays for everything including the ducks, chickens, dogs and me. We seem much more impressed than the female Beep does! He will continue calling and displaying till she gives in and lays her eggs, then he starts shedding his tail as soon as she goes to ground. I love picking up the feathers. It is like a treasure hunt. I've noticed that almost every house around me has peacock feathers tucked in wreaths and such.

He brings so much joy to everyone. WHat a blessing!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

What is your male Peacock's name? Beep -- that is so cute.

Toot. We have Beep and Toot. The female makes a beep sound and the male? well, it just too had to spell AHHHWHAAAAAAA!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Happiest of Birthdays to you.... jyl

That is so cute...Beep & Toot!

Hope you had a nice Birthday...you sure deserve it!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes.It was a wonderful day. I'll bet not many other 56 year old women got new roller skates for their Birthday!

I just turned 54 last week and no skates for me! LOL

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I can't even ambulate in heels anymore. God forbid that I ever have wheels under my feet!
Oh and I won't mention which birthday is rapidly approaching for me!

I started wearing high heels again this year too. I guess I like to live dangerously.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.