Let's talk about the Hummingbird's and their Migration!

Marlton, NJ

LOL Garden!

Here is a nice article about Nancy Newfield (hummingbird expert) and all the Rufous and other hummers showing up in La.

http://www.audubonmagazine.org/birds/birds1003.html

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

One was spotted 30 miles south of me yesterday.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

One was spotted today in or near Columbia, SC. I'm a lousy baker and the only time I keep sugar in the house is for the Hummers. Just bought a bag yesterday in anticipation of hanging my feeders. Would someone please refresh my memory on the ratio of sugar to water?

Marlton, NJ

You can use either 4 parts water/ 1 part sugar or

3 parts water to 1 part sugar

Never stronger than that though.

I use the stronger version during migration times than switch to the 4/1 during summer.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I had someone tell me to boil the water then dissolve the sugar into it - instead of boiling the sugar water. He said that otherwise it starts to boil down like canning syrup and gets too concentrated. So last summer that is what I did, boiling the water in the Microwave instead of on the stove top. The sugar dissolves into the hot water pretty quick - I think it was easier even though I had to make up small batches more often.

Marlton, NJ

That's the way I do it. Sugar in last.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well....my Cardinal plant didn't make it. I guess I better start some Lady In Red Salvia seeds!

Thanks for the recipe. My little sprig of Carolina Jasmine didn't make it either.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

One of my cardinal flowers is planted in the pond, and that had the deicer in it all year. The other one is right beside it in the ground. It will be interesting to see if either made it. I saw some life in one of my Agastaches. I didn't check the other two though. I still have to clean off all the beds.

Marlton, NJ

They are in North Carolina now!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I guess I'd better buy some new window mount feeders - I'm down to one and its pretty battered up. I will probably need them by mid April. I'm considering mounting red reflectors on the rain gutters above the window mounts - thought that would bring them in for a closer look so they would find the feeders. The first birds of Spring are always flying fast due North.

I'm considering buying a couple Hummingbird nesting hooks - has anyone else tried them?

Marlton, NJ

Sorry I never had them.

The excitement is building, pelletory! Today I brought my feeders out of storage. They're clean, just had to rinse off he dust. Then I made a fresh batch of sugar water and am hanging my feeders out this week-end.

Oh my look at all the dots now! Better be getting those feeder out and cleaned up!

I remember seeing somewhere that those nesting hooks were a waste of money.

Ladysmith, BC

We had the Annas all Winter, not many, but they were here. Too cute, came to the window and the Christmas tree lights. Many people here keep feeders out all Winter long now.

The Rufus are here now. It is just so very exciting to see them!

Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, BC

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are apparently all around me, I have see nary a one. We had our garden festival in town this weekend tho, and I brought them home LOTS of tempting blooms to feast from.

I also took my feeders down and made them some food putting the sugar in after the water boils, as mentioned above. I think I made their food way to syrupy.

They're in Virginia at the coast, only 6 hours away! Two of my feeders when up today on either side of our back porch. It's been one of their favorite places to start for years. If they return on schedule, we only have another week to go. Gardenglory, I nuked 12 cups of H2O not quite to the boiling point, let it cool just a bit and stirred in 4 cups of sugar. Does everyone keep their nectar in the fridge? And what are nesting hooks?

This is the hummingbird hook/House.... http://www.duncraft.com/Hummingbird-House-P1150C251.aspx

I keep mine in the fridge in a pitcher marked Hummer Food! Our youngest granddaughter drank the nectar one year! Not that it hurt her of course ...but I had to make more. LOL

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I had 1 today!! I had 1 today!! Oh what a blessing it was to be home to se it!! I've had my feeders out for about 10 days or so now!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Congratulations Birdie!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Congratulations Birdie!!

This sure is an exciting time for us all!

HOLY SMOKES...one down by KY/IN border gotta get one out!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I usually make my sugar water up in the evening, and leave it on the counter overnight to cool. Then it is ready in the morning without being too cold for cold birds. Any that doesn't get used first thing in the morning goes in the fridge - if I refill a feeder after it warms up outside, I figure the sugar water being cold won't matter.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I saw my first on the 22nd this year. No pic yet. The first in my area was on the 19th. That is still 10 days behind last year. It looks like they are making up for the late start by flying north faster.

How exciting, Birdie!

They're all around us now, one on the map yesterday was only 30 minutes North.

Marlton, NJ

We put out our first Hummingbird feeder today. They are getting pretty close! :-)

I put mine out friday....this week is supposed to be really nice. Sunny and getting warmer everyday. I am hoping for a Scout or 2 at least!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

They seem to be avoiding the central part of the nation...looks like they are at least a week behind last year. I think the jet-stream is keeping them away...boo-hoo!! I'll probably put out a feeder or two tomorrow anyway and hope someone shows up!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been out of town for a few days, but I had the first one I've seen on my feeder this afternoon. A female. I'm hoping she has friends! I'm very glad they are back:) Hang in there folks, they're coming your way.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well Im finally able to get back on Daves. While AOL was having its issue. I got my first hummer. They have plenty of nectar and I have plenty blooming for them to eat. They can thank the garden festival last weekend for that ;-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Congrats Missy and Gglory!!

Marlton, NJ

Yes Congratulations guys!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats to all that get to see your pretties! I haven't seen one yet. Booohooo.

Batavia, OH(Zone 6a)

BF was buzzed on Sunday, may or may not have been a hummer but my feeder went out right away. I spent too much time staring at an empty feeder, but I think today's the day...it's gonna be sunny (I may be in lala land as it's early for hummers, but I'm okay with that).

Marlton, NJ

Looks like the rain on the East has stopped them in their tracks the last few days. I'm sure they'll pick up again tomorrow.

Congrats to all who've been buzzed! They're all around us on the map but we still haven't seen any. Our 35 MPH winds today probably didn't help either.

Whaa...I just knew I'd see one today. It was a glorious picture-prefect Springtime day here in the 70's. Thought I heard one while I was planting seeds but when I jerked around it was only a bumble bee.

They should be there any time now I'll bet.

Macon County, IL(Zone 5b)

New to Dave's, I just finally signed up because I found this forum. I have my feeder out, hoping the strong south winds will bring the hummers north faster. I'm building a new garden that is hummingbird focused, plus I have a new feeder and camera. Now to patiently wait...okay not so much patience.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome ilflowers. Pull a chair, stay awhile, you will enjoy this forum and more here at DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.