rotten wood chips

Goodman, MO

Two or three years ago our electric utility trimmed trees all along the lines in this area. I asked for wood chips and got a mountain of them. This is now a rich brown color. The trees are deciduous all kinds including probably black walnuts since this was in a valley. I have already used this on paths, but what else can I do with it. It looks a lot like peat moss.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I think you can go ahead and use it as mulch or soil amendment wherever. I doubt the black walnut can be enough to hurt anything.

Raleigh, NC

why would black walnut hurt anything? isn't it wood just like the rest?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Quote from bonjon :
why would black walnut hurt anything? isn't it wood just like the rest?

Black Walnut toxicity info: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Don't be too alarmed, though. A quote from that link:

Quoting:
Walnut leaves can be composted because the toxin [juglone] breaks down when exposed to air, water and bacteria. The toxic effect can be degraded in two to four weeks. In soil, breakdown may take up to two months. Black walnut leaves may be composted separately, and the finished compost tested for toxicity by planting tomato seedlings in it. Sawdust mulch, fresh sawdust or chips from street tree prunings from black walnut are not suggested for plants sensitive to juglone, such as blueberry or other plants that are sensitive to juglone. However, composting of bark for a minimum of six months provides a safe mulch even for plants sensitive to juglone.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

bonjon--The live walnut trees have a reputation for killing most things planted nearby, because the juglone is in the soil due to roots or fallen leaves. The above quote though would imply that the fallen leaves can't be the [problem, although who can say if the leaves give a toxic dose when they fall all at once in autumn.. That's helpful info PPirate

Goodman, MO

Thanks. It looks like peat moss can I use it in pots like I would peat moss?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

It depends on so many variables. Try doing a tet with just a few pots before you gamble with 'em all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.