A qick question

Lake, MI

I have been trying to get a compost pile going for two years now.

I have tried to put the pile in the sun and in the shade. They both turned out ok but no black gold. I take my grass from the bagger on the John Deer, Leaves from the woods, sticks I pick up in the yard and all my house hold scraps. I water it and turn it with a pitch fork twice a week.

The first pile in the sun I covered with a tarp and it was ok, maybe not enough water.

Where I live the soil is so sandy. When I was a kid our woods was like black gold. I dug up a bunch and took it to my beds and they were great. I just moved up to northern Michigan and we have 12 acres and I went to the woods to try to get some good black gold and when I dug in the soil it was only good on the top half inch of the soil. So I am in need of good compost to help my beds along.

I have a question, I am wondering if anyone has ever used Deer poo for their compost pile?

I found a spot in the woods that the deer bed down in and there are piles of poo for the taking. What do you think? should I give it a try to add to my compost pile?

Thanks for all of your help and I will keep reading and learning and I am determined to get some black gold!!!!!

Amos

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Amos, this site discusses using deer manure as fertilizer/compost. The upshot seems to be that it can be a good source, but should be composted for several months since it is "hot."

http://blog.pennlive.com/gardening/2009/01/deep_in_deer_doodoo.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.