Lucked out!!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Man did I luck out today. Was visiting a friend when this tree trimmer walked up and asked my friend if his trees needed to be trimmed? Said he would finish the 2 big pine trees across the street next week and could than do my friends trees. I jokingly said if he wanted to unload a truck load of chips I'd be interested. And what do you know, he brought me a whole dump truck full of wood chips that have been sitting in his truck since Oct. Its already breaking down. Now I have a large pile of composting chips in my front yard and he says he'll bring me more in 2-3 weeks. I'll break up this Kentucky red clay yet.

Marti

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Merry Christmas early. BUT, look out, he may be dumping in the front after dark for many years.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Most tree trimmers have to pay to get rid of the chips. I get chips every time they trim around the power lines here. They work good on greenhouse floors & even in the drive in the perennial pot holes.
Be careful if they have black walnut chips. They will kill plants.

Bernie

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

This load and the next is a mixture of maple and pine. Smells so good. I can use between 5 & 8 loads here, so he can just keep dumping. The next loads he is dumping at the back of the property for future use.

Marti

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

:Lucky duck!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

You bet!! Plus he's going to come trim the 5 maple trees on the property. These trees have not been trimmed in over 10 years. He'll clean all the dead stuff out, clean them up and top them a little.

I'm getting things ready for spring!! Wait til all these wonderful flowers are blooming. I can just see people driving down the street. Green lawn, green lawn, green lawn, green lawn, bright colors, green lawn, green lawn. I wonder how many people will get whip lash when they suddenly realize that the yard after yard after yard is suddenly broken by COLOR!!! Maybe I should put up a video camera. Should be funny!!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Got any "before" pics of your property to share?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, and all the green lawn people do is put on way to much fertilizer that runs down the gutters into the rivers! Oh, I forgot the heavy doze of weed killing chemicals.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes, hows this?

This is the east side of the property looking North to south along the back of the trailer. You can see the old cloths line poles. I'm planning to build up between the three poles and grow vines on them. Probably gourds.

Property is a total of 192 feet deep and 75 feet wide.

More pictures to come.

Thumbnail by marti001
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Another pic. This is the front yard. looking south to north.

Thumbnail by marti001
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Last one. This is standing in the backyard, behind the trailer and looking south along the front of the trailer. This is the shade area. The trailer sits north to south, the length of the property.

Thumbnail by marti001
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Thanks! Can't wait to see the "after" pics!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I plan to post pics as I go along. It will take a couple of years to finish this yard. For now I'm starting at the front yard.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

That is a lot of land to do something to and have a bunch of fun doing it. It would probably kill me but have a great time. I will help you as much as I can. Love your new life.....

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a 1/2 acre here and will be able to plant some on the 1/2 acre next door. I'm just doing a section at a time.

When I get an area growing good and in flower this summer I will post more pictures. I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT!!!! I NEED FLOWERS! I NEED COLOR BESIDES GREEN!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

How much fun is that. Starting with an empty pallet to start and go forward. I have as bulb that is a bellflower. The multiply like rabbits. They bloom the majority of the summer and I do not have to dig. I also have another, which I do not know what it is but very low, multiplies the same and has man adorable blue bell like flower. Just say when, and I will send you some. The photo is the pink bellflower. It looks like a miniature amaryllis.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I love chips - I have had some delivered in the past, but if they aren't available when I want them, my DH & I go over the the recycle center where there is a constant pile for people to take. They are mostly pine and oak.
We have a wooded lot so we keep them on paths through my shade garden. They break down after about a year, so we just go get another pck up load as needed. It really dresses up the place and makes for a nice clean path to walk on and keeps the weeds out. We spread them 3-4 inches deep.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Sharon

I love the pink bellflower. I'll have to look for some of those. I want to put in lots of bulbs and things that will tolerate our winters.

I see so much that I would like to have in my garden, but I'm trying to restrain myself. It's just me here to garden. I have no help and with a bad back and knees I have to becareful. So a day at a time! A section at a time!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Marti, you do not need to look for them. Just dmail me your address and I will mail you some as a house warming gift from me and my worms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.