Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068037
Edited to say this must be Emma's Plum Purple Velvet
out of Helena's seeds.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 2:13 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty pink bloom, Jackie! Can't believe we are almost into March already! This year promises to be a good year for MGs for many here! Can't wait to start seeing everyone's bloom photos! It's been a long, cold winter for just about everyone this year!

Thanks Becky.
Will be glad to put this horrible winter behind us.
I know we will see some beautiful new blooms this summer.

Melbourne, FL

Still waiting here to put the Morning Glories outside. Some more mid-thirties coming this week. I finally had to give my two tallest ones something to start climbing.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Looking good!

I hear ya, Gardenpom! I can't believe our temps are supposed to be almost 77 today and then go back down to 37. I was at recess just a short while ago with my class and within 5-10 minutes I could feel the cold air moving in! Crazy weather conditions like I have never seen this late in the winter. Spring usually starts showing up in March, but I am not holding my breath for the beginning of March.

Some of my tropicals are making a come back, so I have to cover them with buckets at night when the temps really dip to protect them. Sheesh! What's up with this weather???

Melbourne, FL

I just saw now where they are saying one night down to 33.

Bummer! I will be covering my plants once again and dragging some inside. What a hassle! My poor plants are sprouting again and are probably so confused. I wonder what the folks up North are experiencing, if ours is this crazy?

Our temps in the 40's with an old cold North wind blowing, makes
it feel much colder. We should be in the 50's here by now.
Making it worse is the fact that we had a cool fall, Sept and Oct
were cool, not the 70-80's- they should have been.
I feel so mis-treated. lol

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

We are supposed to get snow again in Atlanta tomorrow. Temp in the 30's for high. So ready for nice, cool weather.

Tis the season to be freezin' .... LOL invest in Acme Snowshoe Company!

Though I had pretty good weather until late December ... I, too, feel rather at odds with this crazy weather. But I can't complain too loudly or y'all would whack me with a wet noodle ... because at least I don't have snow ... yet. LOL!

I think we all need a green room like Debra's basement ... then it wouldn't matter what the temps were outside ... we'd just sit downstairs in our basement under the grow lights and pretend it is summer! :-) You could even add some birds (domestic parrots, finches, etc.) to that room and maybe release some ladybugs and butterflies ... and then you'd have your own little indoor garden room. :-)

I can't believe the winter all of you have had! Is it really still freezing in atlanta? Sheesh! Really I am wondering about this global warming problem. I hope it is just a what ya call it... once in a blue moon kind of winter for ya'all...
the sun came out today, but it is still below 20 at night.. brrr! I am wondering what our springs and summer will be like? We have another round of snow coming sunday night..

I found an egg case down in one of the hibiscus planters.. I am pretty sure it is a praying mantis egg case..
hope it hatches this spring.. Three of my tropical hibs are budding.. just hope they stick and don't fall off..

I am dissapointed that my panduratas and bindweeds have not germinated yet. It makes me kinda pout and grumpy at them. How silly for me to be talking to them like they are misbehaving children.

I have a plum delight from emma that just came up in the south window..I told it that it was a good girl.. I am going winter crazy, right?
Got anymore pictures of your yellow blooms yet Becky??
I am wondering how I am getting seed pods on the other vines downstairs that I havn't brushed.. surely not the fungus gnats? I mean.. really?? do some times they just self pollinate or something , with a fan on or what?? ( Clueless)

Debra - Cool about the egg case that might be praying mantis babies! ;-)

I haven't had luck yet getting panduratas to germinate either. I think I need to either soak the seeds or nick them! :-P~~~

Funny that you should ask about the Yellow Chinese Evening Glory vine blooms ... I've been watching it for weeks now ... just waiting. The vine is just loaded with buds. So I saw that it was getting ready for a few of those buds to bloom.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2010 10:27 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

More developing buds!

(I know there are certain folks lurking who will probably download my photos to their computers ... I guess they think they are entitled... :-P~~~)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2010 10:36 PM

And here is the bloom. I can't use a flash on it as it makes it too washed out, but this bloom started opening this morning before I went to work. I took this photo around 5 pm and now the the blooms are closed. I used my brush to try to hand-pollinate it. :-) And I could see another bud that will probably open tomorrow morning. :-) The bloom color is actually a little bit lighter than it shows in the photo.

Here's a less than sharp photo of the full-face of the bloom.

it looks kind of like a yellow moonvine. Very pretty.

I do like these yellow blooms, so pretty.

Quote from beckygardener :
More developing buds!

(I know there are certain folks lurking who will probably download my photos to their computers ... I guess they think they are entitled... :-P~~~)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2010 10:36 PM

Nice yellow flower on the Chinese MG, Becky.

For the life of me, I can't imagine who you are referring to (see above).

Joseph

:-) Thanks, y'all!

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Becky, Yellow MG nice pic, makes us Green with ENVY!

LOL! Thanks John! It's been blooming and I have been using my brush to hand-pollinate. Hopefully, I will get lots of seeds to share. :-) The blooms unfortunately are very small.

Look at these 6 inch lvs on my Milky Way last summer.

Becky, love your Yellow Evening Glory, hope it makes lots of seeds

Thumbnail by patootie

OMG! Jackie those are incredible! I don't believe I've ever seen any I. purpurea leaves here as big as yours!!! WOW! Too bad the Milky Way blooms aren't huge like that too, huh? LOL!

I have had a lot of blooms on my Yellow Chinese Evening Glory vine. It does appear that some are making seed pods while others are dropping off the vine. The seed pods (if that is what they are) appear different than the typical seed pods on most MGs. If they are, I'll take a photo to share. And of course will share seeds this year.

I loved the flowers too. First time I had grown this one in yrs.
Thanks Becky, the flowers were almost 3 inches across. This one was
planted right in the ground to the left of pandy.

Thumbnail by patootie

Nice and warm here today so I want to start some glories in small pots.
Everytime I go outside to gather items needed, the warm temps and sun make me so sleepy, I have to take a nap instead. lol Either Spring Fever or
just getting old or both.

Here's Apricot Candy Fall 08. I have one seed left of this one.
Hope I don't mess up this time.

Thumbnail by patootie

yeah, seeds? didn't we get some yellow MG seeds in the MG exchange? or those are different kinds?

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 3:49 PM

Jackie - Love that little Apricot Candy vine. :-)

Nicole - Those were a different kind of vine. The yellow blooming vine is known as Yellow Chinese Evening Glory. Very little seems to be known about this particular vine, except for what is stated on this website: http://www.natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/evening_glory.html

Thanks Becky.
I am getting a few sds from my yellow ochracea.

very pretty. Looks a little like a moonvine, but yello.

szarvas, Hungary

Becky, if your yellow vine flowered again a month later I hope you try an interspecific cross with any morning glory in your garden.

what a great idea , Dany!

Dany - I think the blooming has stopped. :-( I don't think that it is or would be compatible with other species, but if it does bloom again ... I will certainly try! :-)

This message was edited Mar 13, 2010 10:52 AM

I can see it crossed with an Alba moon vine.. what an idea!

LOL! That would be pretty! A yellow Moonflower ... called Full Moon! :-)

Here is information about the yellow I. nil (Ukon) and if you read further down toward the end of the page there is information about interspecific crossing:

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/DOCs/future.html

Xiong's blooming last summer. Really enjoyed it so will grow one again this summer. The color was really special.

Thumbnail by patootie

I love that one, it is beautiful. You did a great job growing it too. I like how you have them in their individual pots. more variety in less space.

Jackie - Definitely a very vivid color on that lovely bloom. What is the other blooming vine in the background. Looks like a pink youjiro? I like those blooms, too!

I've never met a MG I didn't like! :-)

LOL! I like that Becky - "I never met a MG I didn't like".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.