Question about Holly tree

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a large Holly tree in my front yard that we built a driveway around. There is about three feet of dirt on three sides and 15 feet on the fourth side. We did this in September and I am so afraid I am going to loose this tree. It has looked fine but I noticed today that a lot of its leaves appear to be turning yellow. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to help save it if it is in distress?

Danville, IN

Depending on how large is "large", the problem might be that too many roots were covered or cut by the new driveway. I would think that you could fertilize the holly tree ASAP in your zone, which should help. Perhaps removing some of the top growth would reduce stress. However, did you go through the unusual cold and snow this past month? That could have done some damage that is just showing up now. Can you post a photo?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

It is between 20 and 30 feet tall. I will try fertilizing it. We have had the coldest winter we have had in 20 years with below freezing weather but no ice or snow. I noticed that a smaller Holly tree I have in the back yard doesn't look any better. I am hopeful that is all it is and it will be ok because I love that tree. I am sorry but I can't post a picture.

Danville, IN

If the smaller tree doesn't look any better, that's actually good news! It must be the unusual weather. And, if that's the case, both trees would benefit from special treatment to help them recover when spring arrives. I bet anything the yellow leaves are a result of cold damage. Cold weather, with no snow cover is hard on plants, but I bet yours will survive and by summer look just as good as ever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.