New Jersey Flower &Garden Show

North Brunswick, NJ

Coleus lovers will want to visit the NJ Flower and Garden Show before it closes on Sunday. Atlock Farm features a big bed full of them (see the pic) and at least one other garden has a bunch of them. And someone entered a few in the Garden Club of New Jersey show . . .

R

Thumbnail by rrog2001
Bolivar, OH

Gorgeous pic! Wish I lived close enough to attend.....

Anyone know what the orangish-reddish and yellow one on the right is?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

RRog, more photos, please..

Zoar,

The red with the thin yellow edge (right, on the edge of the photo) or the gold that is brushed with red (right of photo, near the center)?

I got the coleus pictured below from NC Farms, they called it Defiance, it isn't>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Beatiful, Ray.

Yes, more please.

Hap

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The show is still going on so he probably isn't around to post but I can tell you they had the most beautiful display and plants for sale. I did vote for Atlock as my favorite display.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hope he gives us a full report!

Bolivar, OH

Amen to more pics!

Dale, gold one bruched with red...at 5:00 position in photo. Kind of reminds me of the sun - something we haven't seen much of lately around here! LOL

'Defiance' is lovely!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did take pictures, so if Ray doesn't post his own, I will happy to hijack.

North Brunswick, NJ

I have a bunch of other pictures to post, but now I'm all caught up in getting ready for the Philadelphia Flower Show, so it'll be a while before I get to them. ALERT: I plan to enter coleus in Philadelphia, including 5 topiaries and some free-grown specimens.

By the way, the bright orange one in the picture is the luscious 'Juicy Lucy' from our buddy, Chris Baker, and the bright green-yellow one is 'Sunn's Green and Gold'.

Loretta, feel free to post some pictures! And thanks for voting for us.

Ray

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

rrog, I was wondering how does the NJ Show stack up against the Phila Show? We were thinking about going to the NJ show this year but really weren't sure if it was worth a 3 hr drive since we have never been there. Be nice to know for next year. We will be going to the Phila Show I hope to see some of your plants while we are there.

Bolivar, OH

rrog,

Thanks for posting the plant names!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

HollyAnnS, the NJ show is much smaller and younger than Philly. I don't think I would drive 3 hours for it yet. It does get bigger each year and seems well attended compared to a couple of years ago. Atlock had a beautiful 'flowershow' display but the other displays, although very nice, were more about hardscaping, gazebos, water features and outdoor fireplaces. I would categorize it more as 'home show' displays - more practical, less artsy. They are getting better each year though. Unfortunately some of the best vendors and displays over the years didn't stick with it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK, I don't have good pictures of the overall concept. I blame the convention center lighting, people in my way and having limited time. So I'll hold those back so Ray can make a better presentation but I do have some coleus.

The display is called Gems Under Glass and it is a full scale armature of a greenhouse filled with a variety plants. It also includes some "outdoor" garden beds, including the coleus bed delineated with boxwood on two sides, and a green wall with a bamboo or willow-like texture. Also there are three strong vertical purple-leaf accents of cordyline or a similar plant.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another overall of the coleus.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Moving along.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Last overall. I will be back in a little while to post closer views.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Loretta, Sounds much like our local show. A nice afternoon out but I wouldn't drive far to see it. Beautiful pictures.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Loretta.

It's interesting to see that they have let several keep the flowers on. HUM......

Hap

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK, here are a few shots. The lighting is bad. Too bad you didn't see it in real life.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm just going down a list. It is hard to tell how much I am repeating myself since there are so many types.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

More...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

These are a little bright but if I had to edit, it would take me forever to get these up here.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to type something for the post to take...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I darkened the highlights a little on the next bunch...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

This one too.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Amazing the pictures, Loretta. Thanks

Wondering about all the flowers??????

Hap

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I guess I didn't mean "flower" in the literal sense. More about the style of display. Do you know what I mean? But there were flowers. Atlock's style is more about foliage, texture and composition I think although they have no shortage of flowers at their display gardens.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Inside the greenhouse....

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

They do succulents too...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great with topiary...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The Eiffel Tower

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Plants for sale at the booth...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Stockholm, Sweden

Loretta,
thank you SO much for showing these pics. I love to see photos of plant exhibitions, it's like being there and walking around myself. The only difference - I can't pick up fallen-off cuttings from the floor :))

Yes, this was really magnificent, and so interesting!!!!
Alice

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks again, Loretta. but I meant the flowers on the coleus. My day-job is dead-heading them.
Though it was bad to let them flower. Has the thinking changed, folks?

Hap

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ohhh!!! OK. Now I get it. No - they were mostly all deadheaded. I don't think that has changed unless someone wants the flowers or seed. But here is one.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is a couple from the other vendor who used a few coleus in their display that Ray refers to. I didn't take their name.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like the way they planted them around the mopheads.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Bolivar, OH

Great job on the pics, Loretta! Thanks for sharing them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.