iPhone on Windows 7 not working

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Bought two new identical laptops a couple of weeks ago with Windows 7 and have been moving files off the old laptops to the new ones. Installed Office 2007, Photoshop Elements 8, and iTunes.

So after installing iTunes (64 bit) on the new laptops and went to sync my iPhone on my laptop and that is when the bubble burst. My wife's iPhone syncs perfectly with her laptop but my iPhone doesn't on my laptop. My iPhone is recognized on her laptop proving that the phone and cord are fine (but I already knew that with my old laptop with XP). My iPhone doesn't even show up in the device manager but an alert sounds when I plug it in to the USB port(s).

So I pay $29 for a trouble call with Apple and go through similar procedures I had already tried myself but nothing works. After 2.5 hours the Apple experts give up and I have been trying other things myself - comparing files between the two laptops, removing keys in the registry (Apple's suggestion), removing temp directories (another Apple suggestion) which I believed screwed up Outlook (I got free support from Microsoft to fix that problem - got everything back except my rules). Even tried an iPhone restore yesterday which iTunes finally recognizes but then it gives me an error of 1611 after several minutes - unable to restore.

I've looked at many complaints on the web but there was no solution that worked for my particular problem.

Anyone else run into this?

This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!