Please ID

Bolivar, OH

I was given a cutting for the larger plant in the background last summer. (My first attempt at growing coleus from a cutting. smile) The babies in front were started from cutting off that plant. I would LOVE to be able to identify it but have struck out on my own. The more solid reddish leaves glow quite red in the sun while the "freckles" have a decidedly more purplish cast to them.

Thumbnail by ZoarGardener

Are you sure that's not two plants in one pot? Look closely at the stem.

I have one that is a grocery store rescue, that looks a lot like the splashed one, not very exciting. When i put it in full shade, it developed a while strip down the center, and the splashes in that white are pink. I'm charmed.

Hmm, I'm doing this without a close comparison of leaf shape.

Your Red sort of resembles another plant that I haven't a name for, so sorry.

Thumbnail by
Bolivar, OH

Yes,the larger pot is 2 plants but they were cuttings from the same parent plant. I am sure of this because I took the cuttings myself. The 2 babies were cuttings from that one taken about 3-4 weeks ago. I had the larger one in a more shady location over Christmas and it was a duller red with almost no splotches. (If you look closely at the larger plant, you might be able to make out that there some of the lower leaves are more green and have a few splotches. My photography isn't that great, sorry.) They are now in a south-facing window so I assumed that the brighter light was responsible for the brighter coloration.

Oh, my, isn't that something, you have a 'sport'. I haven't been so lucky yet.

Bolivar, OH

Oh, cool! :) Not to be dumb, but which one is the 'sport'? Is it the one that appears different from the "parent" plant? Do I understand the term correctly that a sport is a spontaneous mutation of the plant?

Yes on both counts, I believe.

Maybe, haha, the sport might be a reversion back to an older parent, I thimmmk.

Bolivar, OH

So, if the plant had been hybridized, the sport may be a throwback to one of its "ancestors"???? Sort of like a baby inheriting red hair from a grandparent, right?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The sports will be different from th parent and dont revert when grown outside.
Coleus change colors in the winter and thats why I label everything I cut.
I also label the sports I root. Last year I had sports of Watermelon and was disapointed when they didnt revert.
The other cuttings from parents were true to form and went to theit summer colors after a month outside.

Bolivar, OH

Thanks for the info, GE! Maybe I'll post another pic after I have had them outside for a while. Perhaps they will look more familiar to someone once they have their summer colors.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The speckled plant at the right looks like Psycoleus a trailing plant

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.