Good news for Odessa, MO

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Odessa has a new factory coming to town. Will create lots of job for our area.

http://www.kmbc.com/money/22593890/detail.html

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

My friend was saying that yesterday too. Him and his family moved to Odessa last Sept. I was kidding him, I said "what is it a fireworks stand"? "a cigarette store" "a KFC"? He wasn't too keen on my kidding, but he's a good sport..lol He's kinda in the market for a decent job.. who isn't?! : )

Gravois Mills, MO

I am glad to see that Pepper. I am also glad to see it is hooked to building things that do not use fossil fuel. We need to change our ways in this country. In japan they have a whole bunch of comanies involved in battery research. Last I heard there was only one in this country. We also could do a lot getting the trains running again.

Wow, 3,400 jobs, Odessa's population is just 4,800 (I Googled it). I hope it comes to fruition, unlike Legoland in Lee's Summit, MO. or that Wizard of Oz park on the old Sunflower ammo plant site in Olathe, KS. And God help them if they don't use local labor and businesses to build it! : ) Thats all we need is another Schlitterbahn in our backyard! It would indeed be a boon to that area and those communties, heck I might apply there if it happens! I only make about $12,000 a year now as it would be. The work and the products they wanna make actually sound kinda neat too! And who says the glass is half empty!? : )
Will

From what I have been hearing they will hire local people. The mayor wouldn't let them build here I don't think if they didn't use local labor. lol. They will also have a building just for handicapped people including those in wheelchairs. So lots of good things about this company so far it seems. We all love the fact that they are thinking "green" and are coming up with new ideas.

Will, there will be so many people applying for those jobs that there will probably be lines. LOL. I'll be the exception. I will stay where I'm at or do something else sometime in the future. I still would like to have my own greenhouse and if the new business is a sucess then that will be a BIG help for me.

Oz, they will be using trains there at the factory. The business will be less than a half mile from the tracks from the front and only a few hundred feet or so from the back. They are thinking about having a spur built to accomodate transportation of the generators. Hopefully this business will come up with something to help improve our trains too. We can hope! :~)

I doubt that I'd apply there, its still about 45 minutes from here. I don't think I could afford the commute in my pickup.
My friend says the first phase of hiring is only around 500-700 people or something, not the 3,400 total for a while.
He's all into it though. Him and his family may not move to another state if he gets a job at Manna of Utah.
Hope your greenhouse aspirations turn out good for you Pepper, they probably would.

Hi all! Spring is just around the corner! We set the clocks forward already in a few days! The daffies, tulips and irises are already coming up! Well, they have been for a while actually! lol Now for the breaking news!
I hate to be the bringer of some possible bad news, but I've heard thru the grape-vine, that the proposal for Manna of Utah bringing jobs to Odessa might be less than truthful, and that its not happening. My friend who was all into it says that its somebody that is trying to get some federal money to promote his product. I hear the guy's generator? is on Youtube trying to get promotion also or something. It sounded like a new product, a generator ran by magnets but its already been done and its for sale already at places like The Home Depot or Lowes or something. The news outlets didn't look close enuff before reporting the story and the website looks like it reportedly could be done by a 4 yr. old. My friend used the word scam, he was peeved. I am quoting somebody else in the post here. I don't claim to know the facts myself, hope its not true. Oh well, there's Spring to look forward to!
I have stuff I ordered coming to prepare for..yippee!! : )

We've been finding out alot about the company and it's not looking good. The people that the owner was hyping up are actually his family members and supposedly there aren't hardly any recipes like he was claiming that he had avaliable which he was gonna use in the food processing part of the factory. Apparently there are only 2 recipes and they are his mothers supposedly. This all came out last week in the Odessa paper. Nobody is happy with the company or with the mayor. We don't know for sure how this is all gonna play out but I can honestly say no one in Odessa has blinders on anymore.

Oh, another thing about Manna of Utah: They were supposed to buy this plot of land and supposedly had started the process of buying it. Well, the Odessa paper could find no record of the company even putting a bid on it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry to hear this bad news. Odessa could stand new employers. GOOD employers. The whole country could.

It is surprising that one person or a small group of people could pull that off.
I wonder if the mayor of Odessa was somehow involved in a deceptive plot?
I also wonder if the news stations are too embarassed to say its not happening. If it came on the news I missed it.
It looked so encouraging, what a bummer it would be for people that really wanted to work there.
Maybe its gonna happen yet.

We're not sure what is gonna happen yet. We should learn more this week hopefully. I personally think the mayor had a hand in the deceptive plot cause that sounds like something he would do. But maybe not. I'm hoping they are just going slow and it still will happen but I'm not holding my breath.

Alot of people are upset but right now we are just in wait and see mode. If stuff doesn't start happening soon then the town will probably be in an uproar. The news crew probably doesn't know about the latest info concerning the factory. The only time they know something is going on here is when someone calls it in.

I still wonder if the mayor was somehow involved, my friend said he wouldn't doubt it..lol
From what I hear if the generator man shows himself in Odessa he's gonna get beaten.
I'd think he would anywhere around here! : )

LOL!! The mayor is not very popular around here for sure. And yeah, if that man shows up around here he probably won't be welcomed with open arms. Not til something gets moving on the deal.

Gravois Mills, MO

Pepper---- It is my understanding that the company coming from California makes generators. What they call non fossil fuel generators. In other words generators that are used in wind mills. Trouble with that is the windmill outfits have been buying them from china. That really disgust me. I am for strong teriffs as far as china goes.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

How about just stopping trade with China all together? I really believe we could make what we need here in the states and it would put millions of our own people back to work building factories, working in the factories, etc.

Gravois Mills, MO

Leaflady----- You cannot do that as much as I wish we could. Our good Presedent Bush started borrowing so much money from them to finance his war for nothing that today we are stuck in this financial crisis and are forced to borrow our way out of it and most of that money is coming from China. Until we get ourselves out of this mess it is going to be the same. I remember someone said years ago that said years ago that the last great war would be financial. That stuck with me and that is what is going on.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I know, Oz. I was being off handed yet sincere in wishing we weren't such a 'global' nation afterall. I remember when that was being touted but look where it has gotten us.

I can't help but wonder where all the talent the orientals have goes when they move to the U.S. Do they take some kind of vow to leave their creativity in the homeland? I've heard of some small shops that were supposedly 'sweat shops' mostly in larger cities on the eastern coast but I wonder about the honesty of the reports.

Gravois Mills, MO

Leaflady---They will not be coming back to the U S You cannot live on 20cents a hour here. Plus we have labor laws that forbit stuff like sweat shops and the terrible things that i know from my family went on in the coal mines.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Surely there are individuals who work together to create the beautiful crafts they made in their native lands. They are already here in the U.S. and I can't believe they are all living in abject poverty and lost all their talents. I know some who live near me but for some reason I have never been able to find out if they do any of the creative arts. I do know several of them have nice and successful eateries. Jack and I liked to eat at one who are related to families we helped bring to this country right after the Vietnam conflict.

Update on Manna of Utah project; apparently it's still going thru. According to the Odessa paper they have signed the papers on the land. They are just going really slow and taking their time getting it all together. So it looks like it's still on but alot of people are still a bit skeptic. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I'm all for waiting and seeing too. I'll tell my friend in Odessa it might still be on.
I shouldn't be all alarmist on it, and say its not happening, I'd just be one of those skeptics! : )

Gravois Mills, MO

I am wondering if any of you interested in Manna of Utah have googled it up and read about it. They are a wholely own subsidary of Aegis Energy. They are also a non- profit company. They also manufacture other things beside generators. I have not googled Aegis yet but I think I have heard ofv them in connection with windmill electric generating. I am going to google them now.

Gravois Mills, MO

It was not the co I thought it was.

I've tried to bring up their website and I can't get anything to come up. I've googled and haven't found any offcial info on them. Just what people are saying about them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.