seeds for salvias

Starkville, MS

Does any one know where I might find seeds for Anthony Parker and Tula? For several years they have come back on their on in my zone 7b garden. But, in January we had over 100 straight hours of below freezing weather----------and, I fear that it has taken its toll. I used to take cuttings each year, but have become careless and complacent.

Thanks for any help,
Shirleyd
Starkville, MS
Zone 7b

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure if those varieties would come true from seed? Many named cultivars don't, although there are some that do and I don't have any specific experience with these two to say for sure one way or the other. But if they don't come true that might explain why you're having trouble finding seeds for them.

Candor, NC

Anthony Parker is a hybrid and probably does not set seed. Tula does set seed, and comes mostly true from seed.

If you want seeds of Salvias, go to Seedhunt:

Ginny Hunt 831-763-1523
P. O. Box 96
Freedom, CA 95019-0096
E-mail: seedhunt@cruzio.com
Web Page: http://seedhunt.com/LtoS.htm

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I wish that Ginny had seed of more varieties for sale...I don't know if Robin still has seeds...I'd 'link' it but my copy / paste is not functioning and I haven't gotten around to figuring out and straightening out the problem...annoying.

Starkville, MS

Thanks to all of you for your advice--

Shirleyd

Starkville, MS

Could some one tell me the botanical names for these-----Anthony Parker and Tula-----to enable me to locate seeds (if available).

Thank you,
Shirleyd

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

About seedhunt...I did not mean that to sound disparaging when I said that I wish Ginny had more varieities of seed....she has a LOT. I just wish she had everything...lol! I've gotten seed from both Ginny and Robin (robin's salvias) and been happy with both sources. I don't recall Robin having Tula at the time I ordered. Robin, do you have seed for Tula available on your list?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Anthony Parker http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55785/
Tula http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/165927/

Above are the files on your 2 salvias with botanical names.

Candor, NC

Anthony Parker is a hybrid of Salvia leucantha and S. elegans Pineapple sage, and was found in Frances Parker's garden in Beaufort, SC. It is named after her grandson.

Starkville, MS

Again, thanks for all your help. I can always depend on Dave's Garden Forum for answers to my problems whether it is with salvia, hydrangeas or brugmansias ----and even bluebirds.

Shirleyd

London, United Kingdom

WCGYPSY...sorry for late reply, have been in Argentina for 2 weeks. I don't have Tula, so don't know about seeds. The only Mexicanas which have any hope of flowering in the UK climate are Limelight and Mexicana minor.....have to dream about the others!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Argentina! I was wondering where you've been, but Argentina would not have come to mind.....I was going to say lucky you, but were you affected by the quake? Find any salvias?

London, United Kingdom

wcgypsy,

No I was in Buenos Aires, not a quake-prone area. My friend there had visited Chaco province in January, and he found the very rare S. durifolia, S. cardiophylla, and S. brevipes. So I brought home just a very few seeds and cuttings, and am holding my breath! As all 3 come from intensely hot and humid areas, so I don't hold out much hope for them prospering in England. The 1st two appear not to have much ornamental value, but S. brevipes is rather lovely. Hope to add photos of these to my site soon.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Looking forward to the photos.....can you do a small greenhouse for the ones requiring the hot and humid conditions (says she who has only a small greenhouse and is hoping for another)...or would there not be that many you'd want to warrant the cost/ labor? Would the quality of the light there be a factor also? Me thinks you can't stand there being any salvias that you can't grow there......

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Ooo, looks like that area of Argentina has the same humid, subtropical climate as is found here in the Southeastern USA so I bet those would do well here. Looking forward to the photos soon and new salvias for the garden in years to come! :)

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 1:47 PM

London, United Kingdom

2 glasshouses are enough! I had thought about artficial lighting and heat for species from California and the humid tropics....but would cost a fortune, and I prefer to grow those that can survive here. Unfortunately, the large botanical centres here such as Kew, Wisley, and Eden Project are not interested....their loss!

Should have new photos on my site next week....though descriptions will be somewhat limited, as I have not grown these species. Think that you may like S. brevipes....I am hopefully rooting cuttings...dodgy at this time of year...photos were taken in January, but not by me.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I know a hot, humid , very tropical area S. brevipes might like ! If you do get seeds or cuttings to take, and have any you'd like to sell, I'd love to know about it !

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Me too,,, LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.