Historic irises w/ long, drooping falls?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I am trying to narrow my historics to those with the long, narrower, drooping falls. Not, the flouncy, ruffled, lacy ones that swing toward the newer ones in appearance. I have poured over photos and from one angle some appear to have what I am looking for and then from another angle, they do not. I really need a list of those that fit this description.Those of you that grow them I am certain will know more of what they really look like. All help appreciated!!
Thanks!
Debbie

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Might be Gudrun, am growing a commercial one next to this one.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

my historics:
Dauntless

Thumbnail by naomimade

Jake:

Thumbnail by naomimade

Flavescens

Thumbnail by naomimade

I also have Lent A. Williamson and Wabash, but do not have picture that I took myself. If you go to the HIPS webite, they have TONS of pictures! &:-)

Raleigh, NC

you need to look for irises bred (hybridized) before 1960.

once you get into the 1960s, many are beginning to develop those tetraploid genes that have the wider falls. Those dog=eared falls are strictly diploid genetics.

On the HIPS website. One of the most enchanting I know of is Madame Chereau (abreviated Mme. Chereau) from the 1840s. it's not only dogeared, it's tiny - like a fairy iris, but almost as tall. Just enchanting!

I have been told that this is Iris germanica (Linn 1753), a classical neglecta that is a natural collected hybrid from Europe where it is widespread. It is highly scented but blooms early May, too early in my zone 4 to beat late frost and snow. I have no idea where I got it from and could only get a photo of it by protecting it against frost.

Thumbnail by

Another that I had that may be Crimson King, so I was told. Blooms mid-May in my zone. Scented.

Thumbnail by
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Dog-earred...yes that is what I am looking for. My Quaker Lady blomed last summer but the falls were short. Drooping, yes, but not long. I belong to HIPS and am always looking there as well as the commercial sites. I know pretty much what is available that way, I think Superstition had the most historics. A few of the 50's and earlier, have the long falls, but most are getting more round and `starting to ruffle.by the mid-forties. Gudrun looks more like the kinds I am looking for. At least, as far as I can tell by the photo. I have Iris germanica and the falls are short. I think maybe the ones descended from I. flavescens must be the ones with the long falls that droop. I look at those in photos where they look right but then I find another photo where they look more like the one above, Crimson King...shorter falls. That is why I am having trouble selecting w/o being able to really see the blooms. I think I. kochii looks right???
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!!
Debbie

Raleigh, NC

why not check with Winterberry up in Cross Junction VA? the Spoons have a fair # of historics, and you could go see them bloom around the 3rd week of May.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This may be the dog eared look you are seeking.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose

wow... I have so much to learn...

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Oldgardenrose...yes, like that one. What is that one?? In your photo it is very easy to see what the falls look like. Most photos you really can't see that at all. That is why I need help from those that actually know how long and droopy they are. I have ordered several this spring...winter!...but know some of them are not what I really want but I really think they aree pretty.
Thanks!
Debbie

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

That is one I refer to as "similar to" florentina. I saw in the last HIPS journal on pg 27 one of almost identical color and form but it is listed as an IB rebloomer. 'White Autumn King', Sass 1935. My white has an ice-blue tint when you look closely at it and a faint aroma close to the nose but I would not identify it since it was found naturalized in a vacant area. Someone may have just dumped some trash at one time or another and it survived and multiplied.

I have another of the type you seek but also it has no name yet. Very close to 'Copper Lustre'. The color in the pic is off by quite a bit from true due to my
camera adding a rose tint in bright sunlight. The standards are more of a tan or light brown and the falls begin as a copper color changing to a darker brown about midway.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This is more representative of the true color from being in more shade. I do not modify any of my pics so there are always variations from pose to pose.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

How about Sierra Blue (Essig 1932)? it's a medium blue-lavender self with deep orange beards. Dykes Medal Award 1935.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Will look up a pic for that one. Thanks!
Debbie

Thomaston, CT

Saw this site, & was wondering if anyone can help me find an iris that would have been in my Grandma's garden in the late '40s-----it had deep yellow standards, & deep purple falls---don't remember the beard & it was highly fragrant---it seemed tall to me, but I was a kid.

Raleigh, NC

unfortunately, prior to 1939, not many irises are that well documented. even fewer were registered, since the registry started after 1920. so any in your grandma's garden may not be found - just be prepared for that. But after 1939, they were usually documented better. So you've got a chance.

hope someone else can help here. But if not here - make inquiries on the HIPS website - Historic Iris Preservation Society.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.