What to plant with dahlias?

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

I live in zone 5a and have purchased several dahlias. They all say summer to frost blooms - 4' to 5' tall.

In my full sun bed, I have lilies, irises, shasta daisies, and rudbeckia (Cherokee Sunset & Moreno). I was thinking about planting the dahlias throughout this bed or redesigning the bed to create an areas for the dahlias to be together. I am starting a cutting bed on the East side of the house with morning sun and afternoon shade but free to plant companion plants all for cutting (no plants in the bed at this time). I know that dahlias perfer full sun but will tolerate some shade.

Would like your thought and help on what to do. Thanks

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Have fun creating your garden.

Last year I tried five dahlias in dappled shade here in zone 7 (not the attached photo). They did not do nearly as well with just morning sun than those in full sun.

Dahlias do, indeed, bloom to frost. I have dahlias blooming in November.

The tree that cast shadows in this photo had to be removed since the roots invaded the cesspool so these dahlias do get full sun.

Any perennials that want full sun and similar soil/water requirements would do well with dahlias: sedum, nepeta, herbs and many of those can tolerate some shade.

Thumbnail by pirl
Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

Pril -- thanks so much for your advise. It is individuals like you that are willing to take the time to help others that makes this site so wonderful!

I really like your flower bed. This picture helps me to see various options for designing my bed to include the dahlias.

Wayne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How sweet of you! Thanks, Wayne.

You can mix in the dahlias with the plants you named but be sure to stake them before you put the dahlias in the ground or you could stab them.

How about some hydrangeas for your morning sun bed that will be used for cutting flowers? There are all sizes and colors from small to huge. It all depends on how much space you want to give them...or just one of them. You'd want the type that bloom on new wood so your cutting wouldn't eliminate flowering for next year. There's always the hydrangea thread to tempt you.

How about coleus? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coleus/all/
If you can't be tempted by them you're far stronger than many of us!

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.