CLOSED: The bird in the foreground, what is it?

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I think that's Grackle, don't which kind, in the background. But, I'm really curious about the bird in the foreground.

Anyone know what it is?

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

European Starling?

Hack

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Female Red-winged Blackbird

Edit: on 2nd thoughts, immature male, not female.

Resin

This message was edited Feb 16, 2010 4:46 PM

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Resin, but what made you change your mind? In my book, it looks just like a female Blackbird..

Hack

This message was edited Feb 16, 2010 12:32 PM

Because the white greater covert bar looks a bit too prominent for a female, and there looks to be a hint of red on its front edge . . . but I could be wrong!

Resin

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Ah, I see now what you mean. Immature male it is.

Thanks
Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

So, do you reckon the two birds on the left are truly female R-w Blackbirds?

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Yep! . . . probably, anyway!

Resin

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Do male red winged blackbirds keep their color year round, or do they molt to a winter color similar to females? I had a large flock of RWBs move in to my feeders with the latest snow storm, but they are all female/immature male plumage. I was curious why there would be no males in a 30+ bird flock

Sandusky, OH

Really the only thing I seen change was the color of the bar on the wing... red to a yellow/orange on the males.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that they do tend to form single-sex flocks in winter. Not sure if that's everywhere, or just some areas of its range.

Resin

San Luis Obispo, CA

Hack and Resin,

One thing to look for on immature RWBB/adult females is white in the the throat. Always seems to be there in both immature and adult females, but not in immature males. In the photo with the two birds on the left, you can see the throat of the bird in the foreground.

Greg

Thanks! That sounds a useful tip

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.