Julie Mango Growth Questions

West Palm Beach, FL

Greetings. I have a Julie Dwarf grafted mango tree. It was 2 years old when I bought it, and it has been in the ground in my back yard for another 2 years. It flowered and fruited the first year and is doing the same this year. I don't let the fruit go past golf-ball-size, since the tree is still so small and would be unable to support the weight. My concern is the lack of growth. The tree really hasn't gotten much taller or broader since I planted it. It grew a new vertical branch and a horizontal one, but nothing past that. Am I doing something wrong? I will admit I don't do much fertilization. I do treat it once a month with a fungacide (kocide I believe) to prevent anthracnose (sp?). The leaves look okay, aside from the dead spot here and there, but no signs of fungus. It is flowering and fruiting just fine. Am I just being impatient with a dwarf tree? It is approximately 2' or so, possibly slightly taller. I'll measure it when I get home and take some pics! Thanks in advance!

West Palm Beach, FL

Pictures! As you can see, the tree is very small (4 years old) and has been in the ground for 2. What am I missing?

Thumbnail by Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

Closeup of flowers.

Thumbnail by Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

Do these leaves look okay?

Thumbnail by Grantman31
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I don't know about Mangos, but sometimes after planting, trees take a season or two to build their roots, then take off growing.
Is your Mango in the direct sun all day?

Saint Petersburg, FL

Julie, as a dwarf variety, is apparently known for very slow growth, so you're probably not doing anything wrong.

More water and fertilizer would speed things up some, but not like a regular mango.

West Palm Beach, FL

lakesidecallas - Unfortunately it's not in direct sunlight all day long. I have a tall 2-story house with a VERY small yard and another tall house behind mine along with 2 sides of the tree bordered by ficus hedges and fences lol...however, it gets enough sun to thrive and fruit like crazy so I guess it's ok. I know it's at least part sun, possibly 4 or 5 hours per day (I'll have to stick my easybloom back there to find out!). I hope after this winter the thing starts taking off, being in the ground for 2 years.
carolyn-haack - I really should start fertilizing a bit more. I would do so here and there, but nothing consistent. I will wait until winter is over then fertilize! Should I wait until after fruiting? I also know that they like dry winters, so should I really water it? Thanks!

Mulberry, FL

I would pour the water to it and fertilizer to it this summer if that doesn't work.... I belive it would

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks for the suggestion danasplants. I will do so this Summer and report!

Mulberry, FL

Your welcome! Love your papaya i am going to be growing some too. I eat a couple a week and save the seeds i could plant a whole forest lol. What most people don't realize is timing is everything with fruit. Just a couple days makes a big difference between good and excellent. When the papaya starts getting sunken spots on the skin thats when I cut it. It will have the highest sugar content and the texture just melts in your mouth :)

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks! Those papayas grow like weeds! From planting the seed to fruit in less than a year...amazing! I understand you're talking about the ripening off the tree, but how would you gauge the ripeness of papaya on the tree?

Saint Petersburg, FL

Grantman, if you fertilize while it's got fruit, it won't put that energy into new growth. However, when the weather's warmed up, and the fruit is off, if you crank up the water and fertilizer a bit, you should get some decent growth.

I've never had a lot of luck ripening papayas on the tree here in Florida. It just draws critters. Papayas tend to ripen quite nicely off the tree anyway. A little lime juice, a light sprinkle of salt, and they're divine.

West Palm Beach, FL

I usually clip the mangos at golf ball size, since the tree can't support them yet anyway. I will definitely crank it up after it's done fruiting.
This is my first papaya tree so I'm hoping they go all the way. I did however notice some claw marks on the trunk of the papaya, so I can almost guarantee they're squirrel nails...I saw a papaya a couple streets down as I was walking my dogs, and noticed a squirrel munching away into the side of one ripe-looking papaya. So sad! I don't like squirrels, but I definitely wouldn't try to harm them in any way. I would be interested if petro jelly on the papaya trunk would both deter the squirrels and be safe for the plant. Hmmm...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.