Apropos of Nothing v.9

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sorry my friend. When I lost my Jack terrorist Sofie I was not there so I had my DW have her frozen. Then when I got home I had "weekend at Bernies" gardening with her for two days crying and hugging her. I soooooo miss her! I hope you travel well in your heart through the comming days. Love you my friend!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Sofer, my animals also "lie in state" for a couple of days, curled on a cushion under the coffee table, before being laid to rest.

My absolute soulmate of all time, a calico named Habiba, was the only one cremated so that I could take her with me. After more than a decade, I think she will be laid to rest here in Oregon. Dangit, I'm crying. How can a person cry for a cat after all that time?

Laurie, shedding a few tears for you & yours as well...

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Laurie, perhaps take some solace in the fact that your tiny one went to his Maker knowing that he was much loved.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Laurie,

Every time I have lost a furry baby, my agony makes me question the sanity of adding another. Then one of my remaining babies comes and nuzzles me trying to make Mommy feel better, and I realize that experiencing the joy of bonding with an animal who loves you unconditionally is well worth any agony that their leaving you brings.

Sending more hugs your direction, along with the wishes of a new puppy to soothe your heart…..

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

A most sincere thank you to all of you - I know many of you have lost furry friends too - this was my first since I was a child -and I really needed some siblings with experience around. I do appreciate all of you. xo.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear of the loss of your furry friend Laurie. It is never easy when they leave us. There is comfort in knowing your friend will always have his garden spot to watch over things. What a wonderful final resting spot you have given him.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Today I left Koka with my daughter while I spent the day skiing at Mt Hood. She had her dog and the dog that belongs to her in-laws, who are out of town for a few weeks. When I picked Koka up on my way home from the mountain, Mary had all 3 of them in the bathtub together because Koka had caught two mice in the yard and offered them up to the two other dogs, who proceeded to roll all over them. Mary has a way of making all dogs behave just by talking to them, and they were sitting so still in the tub and when I came in they all looked at me with pleading eyes - like "please get us out of this tub" - it was hilarious. They did not attempt to climb out until Mary said their names, one at a time. Whenever I think of not getting another dog when one has lived out their life to the finish, I remember times like these, and then I know I need to always have a furry friend. You are in my thoughts, Laurie.

By the way, I learned something about vole control while listening to the radio on the way to the mountain. Take USED cat litter and put it down their holes. The stinkier the better. Who knew cat litter could be a valuable commodity. Have any of you tried it?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

The cat littler remedy seems worth trying. I could get some from my sister. This reminds me that someone on Freecycle was offering ferret poop as rodent deterrent last year. I may look that up as well.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My brother swears by the cat litter remedy for moles . . . but if you have voles and not moles, there are so many tiny holes to locate and fill . . . I guess it's worth a try.

I'm impressed that Mary was washing three dogs at one time. Something I would never even have thought of - I've only ever done one at a time.

Saw on Rachel's FB page that her 20-week ultrasound showed that they're having a boy. Told her that I'm still looking for a profile picture. Last I heard, she and her Dad are coming to the GE.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

So sorry Laurie about your loss!

My husband has been putting cat litter down mole holes and they really don't come back. I hesitate to put it down holes that are close to roots of ornamentals not to mention edibles.

Hmm, I would rather trust an ultrasound a little further on, but what the hey! Baby boy Costenbader! Go Rachel!
My cats have been using my gardens as a litter box for years. Wouldn't that be better than cat litter? Who knows? I have about two dozen nice big castor bean plants getting bigger every day in the greenhouse.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Oh I need to save some of the little boy stuff I have left from my 20 yr old big boy.
Gee, I wonder where Rach's little guy will be most of the time - outside playing in the dirt with Scrappy!
(a.k.a.learning about soil)

He's going to be a cutie! I can already see him with worms in his pocket!

Had to share... Mom and I snuck out at the crack of dawn, stole the Beast while Don was still sleeping, and went and picked up a couple of things at Home Depot (went specifically for the trees). The cedrus atlanticus glauca pendula was what we both had really wanted, and their selection was fairly limited. We chose the best two of the five that were left, and then Mom was looking at heather, so I was just wandering a bit and what did I find? Someone had stuck a VERY nice one in the middle of some other pines.... looked suspiciously like something I would do if I wanted something but had to come back for it. I was not very nice.... it was far healthier looking than the one that I had picked out, so I exchanged it for the one on my cart. Someone is probably going to be pretty disapointed when they come back and find out that someone discovered their hiding place..... I feel a bit evil about it, but I will get over it when I admire my beauty draping over my big pond.

Anyway, it's 9:15, and we are back home and ready to plant... it was a pretty nice score!

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Julie and Sharon, what a nice score! What else did you get?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Ha! We have a Beast, too! He's even burgundy as well. But, he's an Explorer, not a pickup. (I have a Beauty to go with, also, my little Jetta VR6-she's really more cute (and fun) than beautiful, but when you already have a Beast, well...)

Nice haul-did they have a good price on the black mondo grass?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Very nice load.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Black mondo was 8.97, but was large enough so that a baby could be taken off.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I am a bit pived at the moment. I received a "official" letter in the mail today from the "code enforcement" officer of my town.. It states that at a recent visit to my property "my property was identifidied as having overgrown vegetation(grass and weeds). If this wasn't so funny I think I would cry. I am the only person in my neighborhood that routinely is out in the garden and I have only received positive comments on my garden. This code enforcement officer is new and I think he either mixed up my address with a vacant lot one house down or he is not a gardener and would not know a weed from a hole in the wall. Will have to call monday and get this straighted out as it is really bugging me. I have been calling the city about the weeds& grasses on the empty lot for a year and a half now. Perhaps they are finally getting to it but just got mixed up !! It just ruined such a lovely day. I got my shed cleaned out and organized again. Found three dead mice in the process. Yuck! but a good day!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I can only think it must be a mistake. Your fish are beautiful. Looks like they are hungry.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Willow..I hope you are right. I would hate to pull up my curbside garden if that is what he is complaining about. Will see what Monday brings. Yes the fish are acting very hungry. Water temp at 50 deg so I have begun to feed them every few days..just a bit. They have grown a lot these past few months. Will need to round them all up soon as I plan to do a full clean out of the pond this month.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine are enjoying the sun also. I just have a few goldfish left. The bear and raccoons love them. They ate all of our koi years ago. They were getting pretty good size too.
Have you heard about the party I'm having on the 10th of April to celebrate my new greenshed? You are invited if you can make it. Have you seen the thread on the building of the shed?

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Bea, yours is the most beautiful garden in the neighborhood, I'm sure. Clearly, it was either a mix-up or they don't know what they're looking for. You are owed an apology!!

This message was edited Mar 6, 2010 6:22 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

AWESOME haul, ladies!

I am really miffed for you Bea. Yours is just too pretty for words. He should come back when it is ablaze with color.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I am thinking he saw the daffs,tulips,daylilies and bearded Iris that I have poking up in front and he thinks they are weeds. Yes there are always new weeds poking up, but they never get very large around here. I see them & they history! Willow.. I have seen the thread on the building of your shed. It is just terrific! I am sure you will enjoy it for many many years to come. I also heard about your party on the 10th. I do not think I can make it at this time. Hopefully one of these days I can get away and meet all the great WA folks!

(Judi)Portland, OR

I also want to meet all the Washington folks, Bea. The distance just makes it a little difficult! The "garden police" must have made a big mistake and you got the letter instead of the correct person. The photos of your garden have been so colorful and beautiful.

Bea, That is just crazy! I am offended for you! I just can't believe that anyone could see your yard as anything but lovely...even if there is spring cleanup still to do. I have always envisioned your house as "the one that you need to go out of your way to drive by" on the way home, just to enjoy the beauty. There has to be a mix-up, and isn't it just rotten of them to send a letter that you will get with two days to stew about it before you can contact someone? I am SO with Kathy.... you are owed one big a** apology! Not only for the letter, but it's timing as well....

Thanks for the comments our our haul. I have started a new thread (partially to brag about my new pretties, and partially to have a "location" for bargains that others might be interested in) that gives more detail about what we came home with.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079885/

I am hoping to have participation from other enablers there as the spring progresses!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Is anyone else experiencing very slow posting and picture sending?

These purple babies are really a different color. It doesn't show true. I had to move them in the spring when we cut down a tree. Didn't know if they would live but they are doing great.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yes, I've noticed the wait time is long. Frustrating.

very pretty blue.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Yes - it's been quite slow for the past several days.
I just finished the first "mow" of the year.
My arms feel like Olive Oyls! Where's Popeye when ya need him?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

A pretty large daff.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

and a pretty tiny one.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm Popeye the sailor man and I live in a garbage can..... Lots of Popeyes in Seattle Kate.

Willow, Your daffs and hyacinth are lovely.

Katye, I think that Popeye is saving his muscles for the Olive Oyles that look a bit more helpless than we do....

Fortunately, I have not yet had to do the "big" mow because no matter what mower I use, it would sink up to it's hubs. Maybe in a week or two it will be drier? At least you have the satisfaction of the "neatness" that results!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

well, neatness as in neater than yesterday.
Amber (Lab) likes to pull up hunks of grass. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
So I mowed then I ran the lawn sweep. I'm glad that's over for another couple weeks.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Just spoke to the code enforcement officer and he said it was a mistake and that the letter was supposed to go to the vacant lot owner. Thank goodness! I feel better! He said he will send a retraction letter hopefully with an appology.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, that makes more sense.

Isn't it amazing that we've seen so many crazy things done that even for a minute we thought they could have been addressing your lot?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear the CEO acknowledged the mistake and will send a retraction. Did you have to threaten the officer with the might PNW? ^_^

(Judi)Portland, OR

That officer should buy you plants. Lots of plants for causing you to worry.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Time for a new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1080198/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.