Quilting with machines on frames

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

I hope you don't mind that I started a new thread to ask questions - I didn't want to derail the other thread.

Last night, I ran across a little blurb somewhere on a retailer's site that recommended using size 16 jeans needles when you are quilting with a machine on a frame.

Do you know if this is so and why it's recommended?

I usually use a size 10 or 11 needle, maybe a 12 if I'm using heavier thread than usual. I can't even remember the last time I used a 16. The last 14 that I used was at least two years ago.

It seems to me that a size 16 needle is punching an awful lot of really big holes, sometimes very close together - perhaps actually perforating the fabric. If using these big needles is a necessity when quilting on a frame, maybe I don't want a frame at all.

So, first I'm wondering if this is your experience? (That you have to use these big needles when you're machine quilting on a frame?)

I think my brain is full. :-

Have a great day!
Elizabeth

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!