tropical or succulent nurseries near Brunswick?

Asheville, NC(Zone 6b)

I am traveling to Jekyll Island for vacation in April. I have looked through DG sites and the yellow pages but am not having good luck finding any nurseries with tropical or succulent plants in the area. Is Landscape Supply in Brunswick or Island Pond and Landscape on St. Simon a possibility? I will be traveling from Asheville, NC. ( I am new at this at this forum stuff)
Thanks.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Try Ace Nursery on St. Simons Island. They have all sorts of plants. Also there is a nursery on Hwy 341 from Brunswick heading to Jessup. They have all sorts of palms and plants found in this area. I hope that helps some. Have you been to Jekyll before??

Asheville, NC(Zone 6b)

Yes, for a wedding and now for a family reunion. We are renting several houses.
Thanks for the tips, I will check those places. I love to stop at nurseries to make local finds (especially since I live in the mountains), but I find it hard to determine which nurseries have what. I just figured since I was coming to the coast there had to be some tropicals out there somewhere. Thanks so much.

Blackshear, GA

potsonly,
the Island pond and landscape has beautiful tropical plants, some unusual and hard to find. Trouble is, it is kinda hard to find also, unless you have a GPS or familiar with the area. The locals could help you find it. Ace is great also, probably my favorite!!

Then there is Frederica Flowers on St. Simons, they have nice plants, but no price on anything and a little high. But I have found things there that I haven't seen anywhere else. They almost always have the jewel orchid, which is very hard to find. I have been one week and the plant is $x amount, then gone back the next week or so to get another and it is a dollar or so more, so watch out. I think it depends on who you talk to.

You are coming at a perfect time, they are just beginning to get spring flowers in, so by April they should have a great variety.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

GAgirl,
Where is the Island pond??? I have been to Frederica Flowers too and enjoy walking around looking at all their plants. I don't think I have purchased anything there so far but may have forgotten. I passed by it the other day and not much out so far. This darn cold weather is getting old now. Since I have so much to do at our new place....I am dying to get started. I will be going to Ace in about a couple of weeks to check out their spring plants. I am sure my pocketbook will drain pretty quickly once I get started. It can be expensive just starting out and wanting to do everything. I will just take it one space at a time or it can be overwhelming.

Blackshear, GA

Hi flipflop,
Island pond is on the far side of the airport. I know you are relatively new, but on the other side of the 'roundabout' is a farmers market. Know it? Well go on out that road around the corner and just look for the sign. Its on the right. You will follow the little road around a bit and its just tucked back in the corner. They have some really nice plants and lots of pots and gardening items. You kinda get the feeling that it may be wholesale, but its not. I am not familiar with the roads down there, I just know where things are, so sorry for the 'lack' of directions. At least that gives you an idea. Look it up in the phone book and then type it in Mapquest and it will give you a map. There was a lot of road construction last time I went, they had changed the road a bit so that makes it hard to tell you also. If you go let me know what you find, I haven't been in a while.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Hi GAgirl,
I know where the farmers market is located and kinda know where you are talking about. I think I can find it and I will let you know what I find out there. Thank you so much for telling me about it. I love checking out all the nurseries. I think they are just about finished with the construction on the roundabout and entry and exit to the island.....thank goodness!!! It's sad that the big old live oak that you see when you first come on the island is no longer there. They say it was diseased. I think it died of all the digging around it. I really miss it though and have taken many pictures of it in years past. It was a symbol of the island to me. On another subject....I will send you a picture of my goldfinches at the feeders when I get them downloaded. It is amazing and I bet I have at least 75 to 100 of them. When I told the owner of Wild Birds Unlimited on Jekyll, he wanted me to take pictures. He wanted to know where I lived. Had to go to Home Depot today to get more seed.....they are eating me out of house and home LOL I will bring pictures in to him when I go out there next Sat. I have volunteered to work at the Sea Turtle Center and will start training next Sat. I am really excited!!

Blackshear, GA

How fun!! I would love to see the pictures. My feeders are busy too, mostly cardinals. During the summer when we are at Dover's there is always a painted bunting that comes to my feeder there. He is so pretty, like a rainbow.

I bet the Sea turtle work will be fun, I have always wanted to go on one of the 'baby' hunts during the summer, but always forget. Keep me informed on what you do. TTYL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Bird's have going wild on my feeder as well. I don't know how long a cardinal lives but for 5 years or so my Cardinals keep multiplying every year. Started with one mating pair and now it looks like there are 5 pairs that visit every winter. Lot of egret activity lately too. I think I have a falcon living around here but I'm not sure if it's a young red tail hawk or a falcon. Are there wild falcons on the coast.

No bird watching is not something I know anything about. LOL.

Asheville, NC(Zone 6b)

GAgirl, thanks so much for the additional information on the nurseries. I'll have a week at the the beach and there is always a rainy or cold day or sunburned day, which will be great for scouting out the nurseries. I would never have found these places without your and Flipflop's input.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I do a little bird watching but I am not good at identifying the rare ones. I will be thrilled to death if I see a painted bunting on my feeder. Still have lots of goldfinches on the feeder. Of course I just filled the feeders back up this morning. Here's a pic. of the little ones. I sent a pic. on the birdwatching thread and got lots of replies. I was amazed at all the birdwatchers on DG and their beautiful pictures. I think I need a new camera LOL Core, I have noticed quite a few ibis near Jekyll and a wood stork here in Brunswick in a neighborhood close by.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Pots, sorry we crossed. If I find anymore nurseries....I will let you know. I will be searching for them soon!! I hope you have a wonderful time at Jekyll....it's my favorite island down here.

Blackshear, GA

Pots,
This weather we are having, I don't think you are going to have to worry about sunburn. LOL Anyways, if you need anymore advice just ask. I will say that if you have never eaten at the Red Barn on St. Simons, please try it. Its a different experience, the food is good. Been awhile since I have been, but I would recommend it.

Flip,
Love the feeder setup, is that actually a bird feeder set or something you came up with. If so, please share. Don't you just love watching wildlife? They can actually be comical at times. We have turkeys that come through our yard all the time. The most I have counted was 76. I love to watch them when they strut during mating time. This was this past year.....

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

and up close

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

GAgirl,
You must live in the country and have a big yard. I have never seen wild turkeys like that!! That's amazing. I love watching wildlife and getting pictures when I get a chance. My DH built the birdfeeder for me and put it in the ground about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The feeders I got from Wild Birds Unlimited. They are a little pricey but have a lifetime guarantee and clean easily. They have bottoms that come off so I can get the wet stuff out of the bottom when it rains a lot....which it has done all winter. They don't rust either. I will be so glad when this cold weather and wind goes away. Looks like it's suppose to warm up in the next couple of days. Hurray!!!!

Can you believe I haven't eaten at the Red Barn either. I need to do that soon.

TTYL

Blackshear, GA

Actually, I don't. Walmart is about a mile from me. I don't live right in the city, but right outside. There is a big pecan orchard behind my house and woods to the right, but a busy highway a 100 yards or so from my house. They just walk through peoles yards all the time.
Would your hubby mind sharing how he made that, the square piece and the long rod? How long is it? There are so many cardinals out today, but there is a mean mocking bird out too, and he keeps running them off.

So how long have you actually lived in Brunswick?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Wild turkeys are mean. LOL> I had one that use to come up to my back window and look at me, think he was taunting me to go outside. Think big rooster. On the other hand I've gone turkey hunting and when they know you're after them they are very hard to find.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

GAgirl,
I'm not sure how to explain how my DH built our bird feeder. The square piece on top is a piece of metal he had made on his job several years ago when he worked out at Langley, VA. A welder helped him with it. Then he painted it green. The long pipe is a piece of conduit that he bought at Lowes and cut off the length we thought would work. He took a post hole digger and put the post in the ground with some quick crete (cement) around it. The post was 8 ft. before we dug the hole. So much rain around here, we didn't have to add water to the quick crete to mix it LOL When he dug about 8 inches the water showed up HA HA I told him we live in a swamp!! He got S hooks to hang the feeders. It's just a contraption he came up with since the metal rod we had out there could not support the weight of the feeders. The goldfinches seem to like it. Saw a female piliated woodpecker in our big tree by the driveway this morning. By the time I ran for the camera....she flew away (naturally).

We have been in Brunswick about 9 months now. I love this area....just be glad when it warms up some. I'm sure I will be fussing when it's hot and buggy in a month of two. I still love summer and the long days though.

Core....that's funny about the turkeys.

Saint Simons Island, GA

good birdwatching of highway 17, right past two way fish camp, heading towards darien. after passing two way on the right start looking on your left. there are dirt roads about 100 yards apart give or take. the first dirt road is champney isalnd. the second is butler island. excellent area to photograph birds and ducks. it is also free, as long as your not hunting.

island pond and ace garden center have the best tropicals. i would lean more to ace for quality.

jekyll has excellent bird watching too. behind the amphitheater there is a lake that usually has bald eagles in trees around the lake . also osprey. if your patient and can zoom, i imagine one could get excellent pics.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks SSi.....went to Jekyll Sat. morning and on the road going to the bookstore (before you come to the stop sign) I spotted woodstorks up in the trees. I will have to go up on hwy 17 (I don't live too far from the fish camp) and check that out. If you are ever going up that way, let me know!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.