Help with Lilium candidum seedlings

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Greetings. I am seeking some guidance with my lilium candidum seedlings.

In mid January of 2009 I started four seeds of NALS lilium candidum Cascade Strain (McRae).

By August all four had germinated but they were relatively small. I asked about planting them on Dave’s and Tracey suggested I hold them over until 2010, since they need to be installed in September or so. I seem to recall that it was also suggested that I chill them in February. I took the plants downstairs to my basement, put them under shoplights, and kept them lightly watered and fed.

In the picture you can see how nicely they are doing. But I have some questions.

Do my various lily experts think that this is a good time to chill them? I have a minifridge in my basement.

Do I remove the foliage, and how should I wrap or prepare them to be chilled? I want to install them on the normal schedule for candidums, which is September.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions – this is new for me (and fun)!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Lilium candidum is a whole different animal as far as lily life cycles go. Not having much experience, and barely so-so success ( by luck only) so far with the one bulb I have, I don't think I can help you. Sorry.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

If it were me, I would keep them going and plant them out late summer and then get them on their normal cycle. They look to be doing great Donna. Congrats on how far they have come. They are beautiful! You must be elated.

The other option is doing your own trial, doing the chill with some and planting out the others. You will see who does better then. Be sure when you plant them out, not to plant them too deep. The y grow very well in my alkaline soil here.

Do follow up here and let us know what you decide. Look forward to seeing them bloom for the first time down the road.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Tracey, I like your idea of keeping them going. And yes, I am ecstatic about it because I have always grown seed that was not only immediate epigeal but bloomed the first season - ususally longiflorum formosanum types. I love lilium candidum but it's so expensive! So when NALS offered a cultivar called Cascade Strain, and the seed came from ED MacRae before we lost him, I jumped at the opprtunity to get the seed (for a dolloar!)

By the way, I received 100% germination.

So I am going to keep them going and then plant them in late summer.

Thank you for understanding my enthusiasm. Yes, I am elated! It's like raising kittens that weren't supposed to make it, and watching them start to thrive (which I've done too).

Back to the basement!

Donna

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 9:57 AM

spokane valley, WA(Zone 5a)

Madonna Lily seedlings often skip the dormant season and stay green until they are 2 years old (some of our native deciduous trees do this too) so as long as the are staying green keep them growing!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Fantastic, Lisa. Will do.

Thanks!

Donna

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Her are the same four seedlings today. Our house is on the market,but I dug up some of my treasures. The rabbits were nibbling the leaves, but no harm was done. Here are the four seedlings, in two pots. The blue flowers are chionodoxa sardensis that came along for thr ride.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I seem to have three large and two small plants. I'm thrilled. I'll send more pics as they continue to develop,

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looking good!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yep theyre lilies!!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.