ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #171 Feb: Have we turned the Corner? NO

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073078/#new

Sorry switch in mid day.
The last Thread was getting WAY long.

We're getting a light fine powdery snow now.
Wind are supposed to pick up here soon but......

Ric

Columbus, OH

Still snowing here, too. Also a powdery snow, which is accumulating slowly.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Did you guys get the big chunks of snow flakes around dinner time? I actually went out and took a pic because it looked so weird! The snow was all nice and smooth and that stuff came and looked like cottage cheese. LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We're down to a few tiny flakes twirling in the sky. They look more like dust motes than snow.

Dea's getting hammered in Frederick, MD - blizzard conditions. They're getting something like 2" an hour, I think? I sure don't envy the people out east with so much snow on the ground and this coming on top of it:

Quoting:
... Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 7 PM EST this
evening...

A Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 7 PM EST this evening.

* Precipitation type... snow.

* Accumulations... 10 to 20 inches. Drifts of 2 to 4 ft possible.

* Timing... snow will continue through this evening. Heaviest
snowfall is expected this morning through early afternoon.

* Temperatures... mid and upper 20s.

* Winds... winds will become northwest increasing to 25 to 35 mph
with gusts around 55 mph. Blowing and drifting snow will
reduce visibilities to a quarter mile or less at times...
producing blizzard conditions.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
occurring. Do not venture outside. This is a life threatening
situation for anyone who becomes stranded.

Falling and blowing snow with strong winds will create whiteout
conditions... making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel... have a winter survival kit with you. If you get
stranded... stay with your vehicle.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2010 10:56 AM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, enough's enough!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Celene, you still on here? Will it hurt anything if there's fresh snow in the urine sample I got from Sarah? I tried to get the container under her, but with all the snow, I couldn't catch it directly.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2010 11:00 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, it came, it was pretty, we all got a day off....turn it off already. LOL

Waddy, KY

Snow has got to rank up there with all those other four letter words around our house. We may have 4-6 inches here and blowing like a banshee early this morning. No school again. DD and DH were out early trying to get a cow in the barn before she dropped her calf in a snow drift. I expect to see a calfsicle in the basement when I get home this afternoon. Thank goodness we aren't going to get the 3 ft. that others are getting. There's wood on the porch, the feed wagon's full, enough roll bales in the back lot and the water's not frozen in the waterers so I reckon we're doing ok.

Not much going on here. I have a church pew in the basement I think I'm going to drag out and start to refinish. I love wood furniture but hate to refinish and I'm too tight to pay someone to do it. Guess I just need to buck up and do it.

Chele, good luck on your job seeking efforts. I do want to tell anyone that's job seeking with a college degree, our office is going to hire two times this year. Once in April and once in I think September. Frankfort and Louisville offices. If you're interested let me know and I'll tell you how to apply.

Better get going. ~~~~~~~~~~~ to all and stay warm

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm glad to see you mid America types are getting to enjoy winter!

All our snow from December 1 until now is still with us. Took this a few minutes ago.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Columbus, OH

GW, it will change some of the values...one of the things we measure is concentration of the urine, it's a kidney function indicator. Have them catch some urine at the vet for you. If she has a lot of UTI issues, save an old ladle...the perfect tool for collecting urine without standing on your head or getting splattered.

why are firemen always such hotties ? i mean is it a job requirement ?? LOL
GW i sure hope your pup feels better soon. Not fun them UI.
well not much here except more snow
thanks Bernie for the snow pic. looks like my house .I wish i was in the snow plow sales right about now LOLLL
i much prefer snow then mud .

Columbus, OH

Sue, I think it *is* a requirement. There is a fire station across the street from my work. My windows face the back yard where they play basketball and stuff, quite a distraction.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I think we HAVE turned the corner, Ric, but we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in Siberia! Brrrrr....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, Sarah's got a lot of bacteria and blood in her urine, but doesn't appear to be making crystals. I've had UTI's that bad years ago, and I feel so bad for my doggy knowing what they feel like. The vet has her on an antibiotic for 10 days. If she's not better toward the end of the course, she'll get x-rays to be sure Sarah doesn't have stones. She gave her a steroid shot to help with pain and straining, plus to make her thirstier so she'll drink lots of water.

That walking cast thing felt better for my toe, but it sure isn't a good choice in footwear for snow! LOL It was very interesting to walk down the slope of our walkway; since the bottom is rounded, made me feel like I was going to tip clear forward. It also made it difficult for me to switch between the gas pedal and brake in the car, too. Guess I could have driven with my left foot, but I didn't trust myself to keep the pedals straight if I did! Couldn't you just see it?

Celene i want to come work at your job!!! lucky lucky . such a shame to have such a awful hardship at your work .
still nothing new here
took kids out to play outside , they all have colds and coughs LOl but hey i m a desperate woman !

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

ok sue, you must be bored...your repeating yourself! lol

I sure hope you all stay warm in this miserable stuff! YUK!!!

LOL pretty sure i m lol sheesh

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

GW, that quote box sounds like my conditions here. At least we still have power, but I can't seem to get a good fire going at all.

You didn't answer about the French press...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh! Sorry about that. I'm scatterbrained as ever. I use the 12-cup French press almost daily. Howie uses it, too, though he still makes coffee with the Bunn some mornings.

French press really brings out the oils and flavors of the coffee as it steeps loose in the water. We've had to cut expenses and can't justify buying the good stuff -- our beloved Obsidian -- at $12/pound anymore. So, we've been getting whole bean 8 O'Clock French Roast for our everyday coffee, or sometimes the whole bean coffee from Aldi Foods (yeah, Aldi!). No, it's not as good, but when the income dips, you make adjustments, you know? The good news is, our palates do adjust. Mostly. LOL Grinding it immediately before brewing it makes a huge difference no matter what coffee you have. We just get Obsidian from Caribou for special occasions like Sunday mornings.

He bought a little 3-cup French press at Meijer for only $10 and uses that at his office for his coffee.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Bernie! Keeping warm??

Well, hubby got another call from yet another company and an email too. Then he had to send them his resume then they called back. This one is closer to home, pays better and his a 6 month contract. Sure hope THIS is the ONE! Geesh.

Had a chance to ask about the job I'm interviewing for when the weather gets better. 8-5, M-F. That will be a lot of time away from home!

It's snowing here again. Everyone keep warm and safe.

we are cheering for this job to be the one for Craig ! * hands in praying formation*

That would be great, closer to home...is it a 6 mo. temp. position? I don't understand....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey Chele,
Keeping nice & toasty. Weather gets nasty, I stay in the house.
We are working on a huge cabinet job. Tomorrow night I am taking an estimate to some people. It is twice as huge! This lady is expecting her 9th in May.

Cheering for Craig to get the job, & you too.
Bernie

Thanks, GW. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for one...

Chele, so far that sounds promising for Craig. I almost hate to hope out loud... :)

The Kid has to be at work at 6 AM so she and my sis got her car shoveled out as far as the bridge. Even the covered bridge has/had nearly a foot of snow when usually it only gets a dusting around the edges...

I am more than ready for spring!

good night folks
sleep well friends

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bernie, are you calling me a slacker? LOL I was going to stop at 6! I am ever so thankful for number 7 though. He's a true blessing. They all are but I'm really enjoying my little boy. ;) I enjoy them all much better when they go to school!!! No school again today. Congrats on the cabinet job! I'm glad you are still getting plenty of work to do. Of course, I know you do quality work so I'm not surprised.

Yes Renee, these last few phone calls have been for contract work. It would not be my first choice but at this point, any work is good work! Three of the ones he's gotten calls for recently have been government contracts. Two were for Ohio and one for West Virginia. Ten years ago, we were in this same position but not for nearly as long and it was contract jobs that pulled us through to the next permanent job.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'm sure ready to turn the next corner!

Columbus, OH

Hang in there Chele, it's about to happen, I can tell.

Making face cream this morning. There's something comforting about warm lotion when it's freezing.

It has finally stopped snowing here... for now. I caught the tail-end of the forecast this morning and there is more snow coming, even clear down to southern Mississippi!

I am SO over all the winter snow. I just wanna get outside and play!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Ok, Everyone ignore Darius' last post...it was a figment of imagination....nobody saw that...I repeat, nobody saw that!!

****stomping foot.......another snow storm???? COME ON!!!......slamming door on the way out again***

LOL jar you crack me up *rolling around on floor laughing *
i hear you on this snow
but hey THE OLYMPICS START TOMORROW AND I M TOTALLY STOKED TO SEE SHAUN WHITE ON HIS SNOW BOARD he is just such a cutie !!!! if i was 20 yrs younger *sigh*
well i got my project and i m cleaning up the basement to get room ready for the seed starting.
bbl

Chele, I saw a commercial on a little while ago, that the Home Makeover show is looking for clients in Ohio!! Please, please apply!! That would be great--we could all be out there yelling, "MOVE THAT BUS!"

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You know, it's always one of those things in the back of your mind and it would be really cool...but honestly as bad as things have been and everything we've been through, I doubt we'd even be considered. I watch those shows and bawl probably as much as anyone else watching but I also know there are people having things a lot harder than we are-not only financially and in a less than desirable house but most of them have terminal or disabling diseases and severe physical limitations and such. Sometimes you realize you could have it a lot worse.

I've also read about several of those people ending up losing their homes or being in big trouble because the taxes go up, etc.

You aren't the first to suggest it and I think it would be awesome but I don't think we are in all that bad of shape considering... Does that make sense? One of the girls did fill out the paperwork once but needed a home video. LOL We have a video camera somewhere, probably in the garage and I think we've not had it out in probably ten years. I think the batteries died.

I just wish that magical phone call for a job would come already! I know there are lots of prayers for us. :)

Oh, I know, there are people out there with seemingly hopeless situations. Yep, ideally, what you need is a really good job...or two, even.
Prayers continuing...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, I thought you had a nice house. All healthy looking girls, too. The last picture of Nolan showed a healthy little guy.
Hopefully a job will show up soon!
Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That was not meant to be preachy Renee. I know you mean well. I just don't think we'd have a chance. :)

Nice of you to say about the house Bernie. It just needs SO much work. And it stays so wet that the walls pick up moisture and don't hold paint. I think you missed the whole septic saga. Mold and mildew keep growing in the bathroom an in my cabinet...on and on...whine...whine. On top of that, the bank and I do not agree on the value of the house. LOL

Speaking of my young one....He's 11 months old now! I snapped some pics the other day while we sitting around. Some turned out really funny!

This one is sort of freaky looking!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Oh, but they could sure use a bigger house! Hey, maybe with a good-paying job, you could build onto it, since you have a nice size piece of property. Praying....

Edit: Oh, yeah, I forgot about the mold issue--that can be dangerous. It wouldn't hurt to try out for the makeover show. Nothing wrong with getting a new house AND a new job! You never know until you try, right?

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 2:14 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Not sure where Bam Bam was going with the hammer!

Thumbnail by Badseed

LOL, he's all boy, huh? What a cutie!

I often wondered how some of those people kept them houses ? the taxes would be horrible. Sad some of them people lost the houses due to more financial issues the house gave them. ?
chickens are feed and watered
basement is almost clean. ran out of room for things so i guess i will stop there. We are going to have a big big garage sale this spring and it all goes !! and left over will be donated . Same with our storage. Everything gets sold or gets donated.
savannah is watching Tinker Bell
Austin is playing nintendo man i m glad we have that thing !
bbl

They give large sums of cash to the winners, too, alot of times. I think some of them just go hog wild and spend it all. Who knows?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.