Memory Garden....need suggestions

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Our 4 Greyhounds are buried in what we call the Memory Garden. On Brindle's grave we planted an azalea...on Caeser's 2 butterfly bushes. Hannibul died this year on May 31 followed by Pooh on July 23. Because of the time of year we deceided to wait on planting until cooler weather which has also allowed the ground to "settle" a bit. Eace grave is boxed with landscape timbers and they all touch. I would like suggestions as to what to plant on Hannibul and Pooh. Don't want anything that will get too tall. In the garden are several birdfeeders,birdbath,and wind chimes....so something that will be "bird friendly"...perhaps producing berries that the birds would like...or flowers especially enticing to hummers and butterflys. Needs to be permanent as I really don't want to be digging each year...flowers I pot and just place on the graves. TIA Ginger

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We lost 2kittens this summer-they have a copperking hibiscus at the top of their grave. I luv blue mist sperias, I have them in my xhubby's memorial garden. This garden has all blue flowers edged in yellows. Im not sure how big the japenese wilow gets mine is only 2ft and growing but its another shruby plant.
Im really sorry about your puppies-hope you find the right plants for them!
dori

Hi Ginger' Lost our friends too,one last year,his son a few weeks ago. Hope you find what your looking for,your areas sound lovely too'
There are some dwarf shrubs(clethra)flowers but not sure if it gets berries. Hosta are nice and the hummers love their flowers too and interplant with some bulbs for early spring color' Hope this helps,Sis'

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

How about forget me nots or...lavender (which is symbolic of love, protection and healing) marigolds..(fidelity), rose (love and strength)or rosemary (rememberance) Dee

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

how about lantana?
they are easy to care for, drought tolerant and the butterflies love it.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the ideas....hopefully we'll make our minds up and get something planted this month...like the idea of lantana..it should look nice with the azalea and butterfly bush. One down,one to go.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Blue Mist spiraea (Caryopteris) was going to be my suggestion too. It is similar in habit to a butterfly bush but not as tall, and the bees love it. Another alternative to consider is a Bunchberry (low-growing Dogwood) that blooms in the spring and has berries in the fall.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

I like that idea, go_vols...flowers and berries for the birds. :-))

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Nanking cherries, spring bloom, summer green, early red, small cherries that birds love and burnished gold leaves in the fall. Mine are about 10 yeaars old and 5' tall.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Getting good ideas..I think lantana for sure on Hannibul..I like the idea of several different colors to each bloom because he was a light brindle color. Just can't make up my mind what to plant on Pooh,the 3-legged wonder kid..he was so special..Mr. Personality ++

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

ginger, why not plant a different variety of lantana on each? i have one bed that has 3 different lantanas in it and it is gorgeous.
i think the one they call ham and eggs (?) would be good on hannibul, and maybe the solid yellow one on pooh..his name reminds of, well pooh and honey.
oh boy, i need to start sleeping more : )
jen

All great ideas and MSJen,thinking of "honeycomb butterfly bush",on Pooh's' Sis'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.