Choosing Fabric: How, What, Why...

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, I've stressed over this long enough..... there is so much discussion on fabric selections, that I feel like I'm more of a beginner now than I did when I first started!

How: do you know which/what type of fabric to buy when it all says '100% Cotton'? As we all know, fabrics run from a few dollars to umpteen dollars a yard. Buy a yard of cotton in Wmart, Joann's, Hancocks, online, etc and comparison will run the gamut of feel, look, price. When you buy online, how do you know by looking at it what it 'feels' like? Or how close a weave it is, or whether the color is true to what you see on your moniter? (besides past experience and ordering from the same supplier all the time, there's always a new site that comes up with sales, good prices, free shipping, etc) How do you know????

What: is the difference between fabrics labeled '100% cotton' and 'Quilting Cotton'? What do you compare and look for in a fabric? Besides the obvious of a straight pattern print, hopefully dyed all the way through (or mostly), a nice thread count (which varies widely from equal threads both directions per inch to more threads one way than the other), and then the 'feel' of it, which leads to the next question...

Why: is it that you can buy a crisp nice woven fabric, and after you wash it, it is so limp you have to size or starch it to make it look nice. Or buy a soft silky feel, even though it is cotton, pay $$$ for it, and the dye fades a little? I realize all fabrics probably have some sort of sizing or whatever, but I'm more familiar with what a cotton/poly will do and why I buy it over, say , a cotton shirt or dress. All-cotton just seems to give me fits when I'm standing in a fabric aisle and there are rows and rows of cottons, quilting cottons, name brands, 'made only for that store' brands, 'never heard of that' brand... LOL

After reading so many old posts and threads of why people won't buy Wmart fabrics, or why they only buy designer fabrics, etc. I am questioning myself now on what to really buy when I am planning a project. So many of my friends are very budget conscious, limited income, too far away from a LQS or fabric mart, that to make a shopping trip only to be limited to what some people call 'cheap fabrics', that I think a good conversation on what you experienced ladies feel is YOUR soul reason for choosing your fabrics would be very helpful, at least to me.

I love to look through the Designer fabrics, which are gorgeous, but truthfully, I can't afford on a regular basis. I've seen many bolts of fabrics, with names I've never heard of personally, that are very nice, mid-range in price and seem to hold up very well. I admit, my personal stash is Wmart and Joann's, and out of all my fabrics, I've only had a few I've been unhappy with, and they weren't the 'cheap' loose-weave either. I'll pay more per yard if it's for a special project, but since I'm just starting out and most of this is for family, I see no reason to empty my wallet on high-end fabrics 'just because'. I feel Quilting is as much about the art of choosing colors, piecing patterns and stitches as it is about fabric choice. I'm sure if I was to figure in the cost of labor, and the time of planning for each block, that cost would more than surpass the cost of the fabric. But that's just the way I look at it.

Like many of you, I know what I like, but if I was teaching my friend or daughter in law or neighbor something about sewing, quilting, what would I give for reasons of why not to buy this over that? What will eventually happen to a $3 per yard fabric that won't happen to an $8 per yard fabric? If you care for a well made quilt out of lower price fabric, won't it hold up as well as a more expensive one? Today's fabrics are made differently than the ones in the Civil War, yet there are many of us that have old family quilts that are still going strong, and have been through alot of use.

I am not meaning to sound off on this subject, as many of you here hopefully have read my posts, understand that I try to ask the questions and bring up subjects that I feel others that lurk here may be wondering also, especially the newbys that are joining or want to jump in on these fun swaps or projects, but for one reason or another, haven't yet. I joined this group after lurking for almost a year, because after reading and watching the threads, that it's the most friendliest and informative group I've found so far. So, can we collect some thoughts here? What makes you choose one fabric over another?

This thread has 43 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!