Edging Plan- need advice?

Chaska, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi Guys.
I need some help with formulating the steps and ingredients for my edging plan.
I know what I am aiming for- I just need some advice and experience to help! I want my garden edging to look like it is made of a single row of med. size field stones- 5-10 inch diameter. But they are super expensive- and I spent lots of time on criaglist looking for local sources last summer- and not many close enough to me. Plus I want a plan I can replicate. So I would like to make my own "hypertufa" stone. I would like to find, or make some type of mold for the stones- either individual or 3 or so in a row at a time? I remember seeing someone make some on this forum- looked like they dug a whole in the ground and just poured? what are the steps/ prep for that? I want my faux stone edging to have a "mowable" outer edge- so sort of a "flashing" that goes horizontal at ground level about 3 inches or so- to keep the grass line back a bit for the lawn mower to make a clean cut- I know some do this with mulch- but I also have free range chickens that dig and kick my mulch all over my grass- which is why I also want the stone edging to be at least 6 inches high- above ground level (since they are more likely not to jump over it then) and if they do- when the kick at the mulch IN the garden it will stay mostly IN the garden and not on my grass.
One other thought that I have and I am wondering if anyone has done/ or seen this and has any tips: I currently have some cheap-ish low voltage lighting (plastic) in my garden- but my dogs (2 German shepherds) like to trip over and dismantle them and then play with the pieces as if they are toys! so I was thinking about trying to insert some glass blocks into some stones somehow (that have been "Drilled" with holes so I can put the lights in them .....??? I have seen people do this for Christmas decoration inside- but not outside? What problems do you all for see with this idea? my husband thinks ALL my ideas are crazy- so I need some other "creative " folks to consult with!!! Thanks!!

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!