Small pink iris

Kamiah, ID

Hello all ~ ~ this is my first time to post a message. Hope that it goes where I am hoping. ENNAWAYS, in the last 6 months or so Park Seed sent out an email about a small soft pink iris that bloomed well into summer and looked a bit like a Japanese Iris or a Blue Flag. Now I can't find it anywhere! Can anyone here help me with this? My youngest grand-daughter is all about pink and I thought I would get a few things for her for a patch of pink outside her bedroom window.
Thanks

South Hamilton, MA

We only grow bearded pink here. But JI iris Dirago Pink Milestone might fit your needs. It is taller than your description.

Raleigh, NC

hey there Moucha. I used to live in Idaho Falls. You're up near Moscow, right? can't remember how mountainy you are there. Seems to me y'all were lower than IF, which was at 4700'.

Do you know your agricultural or horticultural zone? I remember Idaho Falls was 4. if you are not that high, you're probably 5.

Your bearded irises probably bloom in late May, possibly into middle of June. Siberian irises tend to bloom the same time to slightly later, and Japanese irises start blooming after that.

Unless you're in an area that gets more rainfall than much of ID, you're going to have to irrigate the heck out of beardless irises (sibs and JIs). You might want to ask for late season bearded irises. Median irises are the smaller ones, but the Standard dwarf bearded and Intermediate bearded bloom earlier. You might want a late season border bearded.

If you think you can water enough for beardless irises, look, to get you started, at www.ensata.com. what you're looking for is the short ones. there will be plenty of soft pinks to look at. there are many more vendors of these irises. one vendor in Vancover WA is Aitken's Salmon Creek. you can google him. but you'll probably need to email to ask which are short, as he doesn't list many details.

Also, you can dmail pollyk on here (upstate NY) and ask her about what she might have available.

Kamiah, ID

Thank you so much for both your answers! Yes, I am about 3 hrs. south of Moscow along the Clearwater River. About 1200' and zone 5. However, the small soft pick iris's will be living in Carlsbad, CA, along the coast just north of San Diego. Her mother thinks it is a great idea and will plant whatever I suggest and it will be "Erin's garden from Grandma". So I am on the prowl for all soft pink lovelies.

South Hamilton, MA

If CA, I would not go for the standard dwarfs. You could try intermediate size. Sutton's iris catalogue would be a good onw to try.

Raleigh, NC

youch! that's a zone 9 or 10 isn't it? and low elevations? coastal?

I'm not familiar with bloom time in CA, but it's much much earlier than in Idaho. March and April, I think.

what you might be wanting is a early reblooming iris.

isn't that also very dry climate? I don't know of many that can or would bloom in CA desert heat. someone else will have to help from here.

Taylorsville, KY

Little Bow Pink is another little pink JI -- might be what they were selling as well?

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.