Mexican Riviera cruise photos

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

We did trip the last 2 weeks in January. Started and ended in San Diego USA. It was 12 days long.
2 days at sea, then a day in Mazatlan, then a day in Pto Vallarta, a day at sea, a day in Huatulco, a day in Acapulco, a day at sea, a day in Cabo San Lucas, a last day at sea, then back to San Diego. The weather was perfect. All sun, and each day 27-31 C. We saw all sorts of wild dolphins and porpoise, a shark and a turtle, all from our veranda while cruising.

I Mazatlan we took a bus trip up to the Sierra Madras, watched a family making mud building bricks, (the poverty was heart breaking) saw 2 small villages with around 300 folks, but each had a huge catholic church with lots of gold on the wall behind the alters.

In P.V. we went to a dolphin recovery and education centre and spent an hour in the pool with them. An amazing experience.

At Huatulco we walked off the ship, got the end of the pier and walked to a spot on the sand and sat and swam with the locals for a few hours. It was a beautiful place, I'd return here again.

Acapulco seemed like any large city from the ship, it was stifling hot and we decided to spend the day on the ship. It was a good choice.

Our last port was Cabo San Lucas. I could sure go back there. We went out on a catamaran for a snorkeling adventure. The snorkeling was ok, better in Hawaii and places in the Caribbean that I've snorkeled. What made it special was the scenery. White sand, clear blue water, rock formations, and just out of the harbour, whales breaching over and over again. I got lots of photos of where the whale HAD breached, but none of the actual event.

It was a great trip. Good food and entertainment on the ship, we were well taken care of.

I'll post a few photos below.

Linda

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Cheryl

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Cheryl and a Sea Lion

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

me

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

forming the mud bricks

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

baking the bricks in the kiln

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Coast near Mazatlan

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Catholic church in Concordia, about 500 pop.

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

the other part of the above church...

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Village of Copala, 300pop

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Copala school yard behind the bars

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

RC church in Copala

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

if only I could grow this at home, like this...

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

inside the Copala church

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Copala alter. the gold for this wall was donated to the village as there used to be a gold mine near by.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Jesus in the Copala church

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

the beach in Huatulco from the end of the pier

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Huatulco succulents

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Huatulco fishing fleet, lots of pelicans around waiting for a hand out

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

pelicans waiting for their handouts

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Acapulco city view

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

there was a triathlon going on with the swimmers in Acapulco Bay

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I think this is Our Lady of Guadeloupe cathedral in Acapulco

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

ahhh Cabo.....

Lovers beach

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Cabo, the hole in the rock

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

another shot of the hole in the rock

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

at least I got the spout, but none of the breeching

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Sea Lions, wild, up close.

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Sea Lions, not so close

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

our cabin

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

one of the many bars, notice the brass seats

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

our ship, MS Oosterdam in Cabo

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

So many of our shots were out of focus. Few of the sunsets turned out but they were all stunningly beautiful.
So I"ll leave you with 2 sunsets, one that is focused...

Thumbnail by MG99
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

and this one, taken a split second after sunset.

Thumbnail by MG99
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

LINDA, the pics are amazing. So glad you had a wonderful time, THAT'S what it's all about.
In all my trips to the Caribbean, many to Barbados and a couple to St Lucia, I never ever quite could grasp the colour of the ocean .. gosh .. just outstanding !!! Add to that the golden or white sand beaches .. well .. something that sticks in me old bean and will forever ^_^

Of course, the poverty issue was forever present. I tried the 'outta sight, outta mind' trick, but always knew that lurking just streets away from posh resorts were folks subsisting on little.

Take care of your 'bug' ..I THINK mine has bit the dust .. mind you, it has already re visited once !!!

Nice to have you back, betcha Cooper is happy too ..

~M~

Yes, it sure looks like you had a lot of fun. I'm sure it did you and Cheryl a world of good to get away on such a wonderful holiday. Now just get rid of your bug and get that gardening going.

North Saanich, Canada

Wonderful pictures Linda. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great pictures! It looks sooooooooo warm!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Linda
I don't remember seeing a bigger smile on either of you than when you are with the dolphins! That must have been amazing. For some silly reason I have the dolphins and whales with bigger brains and more feelings than they are given in science.
The succulents look very spiney!
Thanks for taking me on your trip.
Ann

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

Terrific photos, Linda - looks like a memorable holiday for you and Cheryl. I have swam with dolphins also and I know what you mean when you say "an amazing experience" They just touch your heart.
Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.