I need information and help

Ligonier, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure which Iris this is. Do you know? How do you tell what a Louisiana iris is? I have iris all over the place and I am not sure what is what?
Thanks

Thumbnail by sunnytx
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Sunnytx.

Iris all over the place. Poor girl, LOL.

It does appear to be a Louisiana.

Here's how to identify a LA iris

Typically, a hybrid will have 5-7 blooms – occasionally 8-10. Blooms tend to open sequentially, and each bloom lasts two to three days, depending on the weather. The blooms last longer when weather is cool. All are beardless – without those hairlike tufts on the lower petals – and their leaves won’t have midribs.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Think it looks anything like the sinfonietta louisiana iris?

here's mine

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Ligonier, PA(Zone 6a)

No the petals are don't flow into each other. The actually look separated from each other.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Louisianas can do either.

Metairie, LA(Zone 9b)

I don't believe that either of the pictures in this thread is Sinfonietta. Here's my picture of it. Kathy Ann's picture looks like Delta Star to me. I don't know what Sunny's is.

Thumbnail by PatrickOC
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Mine is the sinfonietta. They do look different in different soils. but I know for a fact that's what I have. Not sure what sunny has though.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Whoa, cool. Patrick from Zydeco and Kathy Ann. How sure ARE you, Kathy Ann? I know Kathy Ann keeps good track of her irises, and I've never gotten a wrong one, but Patrick from Zydeco. Hmmm. LOL.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

purdy sure . :0) if purdy is a word. my picture was also taken at night time and my camera does a number on blue iris's doesn't actually take a true color picture. makes purple look blue , that sort of thing. I have been known to be wrong a time or two though, in my trading in the past to have received the wrong iris.

but i'm calling it sinfonieta none the less. cause I feel purdy confident this trader was FOR real!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

But you can see by this web site, that your sinfonietta doesn't even look like this sinfonietta Patrick. I think the growing conditions have an aweful lot on how the iris looks turns out.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Perennials/Spring_plantedIrises/LouisianaIrisSinfonietta.aspx

Scroll down and take a look at this one, Looks nothing like the first link

http://jandrgardenblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/irises.html

and lastly Look at Daves gardens plant files on Sinfonietta, there are several different looking ones in these pics

we may never know if I have the real thing or not.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/33079/

Metairie, LA(Zone 9b)

Kathy Ann, the Sinfonietta on the American Meadows website is a freak bloom with four styles, but I believe that it is certainly Sinfonietta. I think that all those on the Dave's Garden guides are correct also, as is the one on the Gardening Eden blog. But the picture you asked about still looks to me more like Delta Star than Sinfonietta. I'm posting a picture of Delta Star. It really is hard to tell from picture what an iris is, though. I can't tell you how many pictures I have from my own yard and seedlings that I can't identify. I try to make myself change file names immediately, but if I forget or don't have time, I wind up with a lot of unidentified pictures.

Thumbnail by PatrickOC
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, you know, I won't get into a debate as to what I have and what I don't have.

I'll just bow out of this conversation .

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think sunnytx's is species I. brevicaulis....looks like the ones I grow,...as well as, most of the reference pics of brevicaulis... I've accumulated during my studies of La Iris species...in fact,....if y'all will compare sunny's pic to the I. brevicaulis pic on Zydeco's Species page,...you'll possibly agree......;cause to me,...they're VERY similar. (I love the Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden Website btw - very informative)

Ligonier, PA(Zone 6a)

WillisTxGarden: I think that is it!! Thanks

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You're welcome! glad to be able to help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.