Ok my high IQ gardening friends...

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I have a simple question: I would like maybe 5 to 8 seeds of many different heirloom fruits and veggies. Some flowers too. They don't sell anything besides packets of seeds. So, what way could any of ya'll recommend I acheive what I want w/o having packs of seeds I couldn't use up in 5 years?

As an example, my truely virginal garden experience last year taught me a lot. I had planted every seed I bought. Most of them did great. I don't have the time, money or energy this year to be that foolish. I know seeds only keep 2 to 3 years, on average...

This message was edited Feb 3, 2010 12:44 PM

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

when I buy seeds I share them with my girls or friends that way we can all buy difernt things and trade ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Find other gardeners who start from seed and swap plants or seed with them. That's about all you can do if you don't want to use all the seeds in the packet. Many seeds will last for a few years but germination isn't as good as with fresh seed. Maybe you can learn to ship them and get in on some of the trades on the forum. I've never participated but I'm sure people here on Dave's swap seed all the time.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

You could go to a store that sells bulk seeds. The grocery store where I used to workk has a garden center in the spring and early summer and they sell bulk seeds and sets as well as plants.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

What kind of seeds you want? I've got a fresh stash..........i'll send you a few of what ever you want, that i have.
Birdie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Grow all the seeds in a pack and sell the extras. I do!
Let family and friends know and put them out on your driveway...
$1.00 a plant should recoup your costs and a great deal for family and friends!
Julie

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I love your idea but I don't have the space to grow everything. I would love a GH big enough to handle all the seeds I would grow.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

How are you doing? How is the garden going? You've been quiet here and we've missed you.

Dearborn, MI

I will paste a site posted on the tomato forum on where to order seeds and get 15 seeds per pack very cheaply. Little late for this season, but info for next year:

for $50. http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Ribbon-Tomatoes__W0QQ_fsubZ2 That's right! 50 cents per package. Only $1.75 for shipping. I ordered her 20 for $10 two years in a row (she is still offering this). The service was prompt. I recieved this last set within a week of ordering. The seeds germinated well for me and the plants were fairly productive. I suggest eveyone check it out!!!! As if we didn't have enough tomatoes to grow.

Nancy

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Cool, thx Nancy!

I did kinda disappear for a while. Who knew having a big ole honkin garden, re-landscaping, remodeling the house and 3 boys could keep a guy so busy :)

I can be found on Facebook really easy though. Kristopher Sills

I will get some pictures up Brenda :)

Algonac, MI

Patriotboy247... as a suggestion, you could start seedlings as excess and give the plants to your (or somebody's) church. Last year I started over 350 tomato plants (never again). What I thought I wanted went into the ground: about 60 plants of 17 varities (never again).
I sent over 300 to my wife's church which has mostly eldery persons on fixed income. Most of the people were happy to get the FREE tom plants and I am still waiting for one of them to actually say "Thank You". You see... I am not a member of that church.
None the less, I feel good knowing I helped those people. This year my excess will be distrubited by our letter carrier to her local food bank. No thanks needed!
Just a thought!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.