Question about soil covering top of rhyzones...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All,

The snow blanket is nearly gone and has now left the Irises exposed to the elements for the 1st time since the beginning of December. I want to make sure they bloom this Spring. From what I've read, at least the top portion of the rhyzone needs to be exposed to the sun. Since I'm still recovering from a broken leg, and it won't be for another month til I can limp outside on my own, I did notice using the binocs from our window that the soil has completely covered them. I had DH go out and see if it's just a matter of just dusting the top off of them. He said it looked like I'll have to do dig the dirt off the top of each one...Good Grief! It was probaby caused by all the heavy rains we had during the fall. There is a slight downhill slope to our yard so the rains washed the soil completely over the rhyzones. When I planted them in August, I kept them as close to the surface as possible.
Any suggestions? I don't want to disturb the roots or scrape/damage the rhyzones...
Please, I need some help...TIA :)

South Hamilton, MA

Rhizomes do like to bury themselves. If they are firmly in the ground it won't damamge the roots, rhizomes are really a stem. Do you have to dig far? What type soil, clay or sandy? If the latter, I would use a whisk broom. Don't know how to deal with clay.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Susan, so far this year, our iris are under 4' of snow. That's the most in the 16 years we've lived here. Now, we do not worry about the dirt on top of our iris. They have burrowed down to where they feel safe, is my opinion. Sure, some will die, but we will replace them with another the following fall. So don't worry. If you have the energy to go out and gently brush the dirt off the rhizomes, go ahead, but I don't think it's really necessary. We have clay soil and lotsa rocks.

May 25, 1009 ~ (in Happy Jack, AZ) - notice no rhizomes showing

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
South Hamilton, MA

In AR it's best to have some dirt on the rhizomes to protect from the sun. different climates need different techiques.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your input ladies :)

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I cover mine slightly, otherwise it is just so hot here in the summer they dry out.
If the soil is too rich though and stays damp for several days at a time, rot can set in with the soil over them.

I think a little soil helps to prevent heaving too.

Raleigh, NC

unless you get consistant temps in the 50s, I would leave them alone for a few more weeks. In cold they don't seem to mind the soil on top. wait until you see newer growth (ours stay partly green all winter) before worrying about the extra soil.

Mine are all planted on a slope, and over time get covered over. every spring around end of March, before they put up the bloomstalks, I go uncover the rhizomes.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello Frillylily...thanks for the info :)

Bonjon,
When you start to uncover your rhyzones, can you take a pic of one so I know how much to uncover? I'd so much appreciate it!!!!! :)

Raleigh, NC

The no need of a photo. Rhizomes for Bearded irise are grey-white-tan color. Roots are a brighter white, the base is white-green and the leaf is green. If you see enough to tell that it's the grey-white-tan, that's usually enough.

use garden gloves. After a rain, because we require that here to get through the heavy clay, I brush around the green base until I see the outline of the clump. once you try it, you'll easily see what I mean. then i reach into the center of the clump and lightly scoop off or brush down the clay until I can see the tops of the rhizomes. Some may be too deep, or under other rhizomes. Don't worry, just expose the majority.

I tend to do this by feel. If the irises are healthy, the knob of the rhizome feels at first like a rounded stone under your hand. If they are not healthy, they tend to be smushy. Well, you'll put your hands right through them. It's gross.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

And smelly!!

Raleigh, NC

oh yeah, stinky. and then you have to steam clean the gloves to get out the bacteria that caused it, and wash your hands, sterilize your tools..... that's after you get that iris outta there and all the soil nearby... don't like finding stinky squishy ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.