Take that, Haystack!

Lodi, United States

Just kidding, Hay.....I just completed my first hatch from my own Serama and I promised some DGers I'd post pictures.

The white ones are 4 days old and are the progeny of Wilder and Teaspoon--both white with grey markings on their wings.

The brown and black ones are from Darcy (gold laced) and Laura (also gold laced) and Emily (black) and hatched today. Darcy is a beautiful roo--almost perfect, but too big and it looks like most of his babies are taking after him. One more black chick hatched after this picture

Wilder is very small, a class A and his babies are small too. There are 6 more under another broody (all from the same cross--Teaspoon has yet to brood anything, she just drops them and moves on).

These have got to be the sassiest chicks I have ever hatched......

Thumbnail by Catscan
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

They are adorable. How big is class A? Is that the smallest? I don't know much about Seramas except that they are the smallest chickens. Keep the pictures coming.

Lodi, United States

Hi beclu727. Yes, class A is the smallest and most desirable--but there are other traits you have to look for, like back length, tail and wing set, comb size---but if two birds are equally good in every way but size, the smaller is considered better.

Conroe, TX

How sweet and cute.

Ferndale, WA

It's a miracle!!! Catsy finally posted some pic's. I love your babies Catsy and cannot compete with you! The heck I can't!!! Catsy do you recognize (Murphy)

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

Here are nineteen of the new seramas we just hatched.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

Another shot of these darlings.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

another>

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 4:27 PM

Lodi, United States

Oh! Haystack--What did you have to edit out?????

I do recognise Murphy! She was the best.

But do you have a silkie Serama?

Well do you?:0)

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 9:21 PM

Ferndale, WA

Gamehens

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

This must be the dueling banties...LOL Yes I do, I have five in the bator to be hatched out on the tenth of the month. la la la la la...LOL

What would I do with out my Dear Catsy. Your the best.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 4:43 PM

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

great photos Hay, thanks for sharing :-)

I'm on try #3 with hatching something, but I think this time, it may just work. Crossing my fingers anyway.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I soooo needed to see baby Pics!!! Thank you both! Murphy looks so at home. I can hear her lil singing voice now...
I love the lil cocoa colored babiez Hay.. The black and white are darling too...

Catsy those are the cutest lil things! Love that almost rusty brown color.. Oh what I'd give to hold them for awhile. :)

I hope I have time later this month to come see them!!

Ferndale, WA

Good luck Batflower.

ZZ's You gotta see murph with me on that thread you posted for me.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well laaa-di-daaaa to all of you and your perfect little serama babies! Some of us have to content ourselves with silkie crosses because we don't have any seramas. Not that it makes us any less of a person, mind you! We are still worthy members of the cluck-cluck-sisterhood and the doodle-doo-brotherhood.

{{{sits in the corner and pouts about not having cute serama babies like Hay and Catsy}}}

Catsy - where is that silkie serama that you told us about before? Can we have an updated pic?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Quote from CMoxon :
Well laaa-di-daaaa to all of you and your perfect little serama babies! Some of us have to content ourselves with silkie crosses because we don't have any seramas. Not that it makes us any less of a person, mind you! We are still worthy members of the cluck-cluck-sisterhood and the doodle-doo-brotherhood.

{{{sits in the corner and pouts about not having cute serama babies like Hay and Catsy}}}

Catsy - where is that silkie serama that you told us about before? Can we have an updated pic?

But they don't have a cute Marshmallow!!

Lodi, United States

Marshmallow--where is she now? I want a Marshmallow.....

And now for something completely different: A Silkie Serama with its Siblings....The Silkie is in back and its normal feathered brother and sister in front.

Does anyone know offhand if the gene for silkie feathering is dominant?

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

Another of the Silkie and its Siblings--they are not quite 2 months old.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I just realized that Haystack lives one state over, possibly on the way to my father's house in Wenatchee.

I want some chickens. Any old chickens. Someone else's seramas will do.

Lodi, United States

Pumpkin (a wheaten) and Chauncey....frustrated bachelors. Chauncey is actually very handsome (and tiny), but he refuses to pose.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Ferndale, WA

I have no idea, but one look at that silkie serama and I would say the ugly gene is definitely dominant....LOL ROFLMBO...Hay

Lodi, United States

{{{Ah! The seductive siren song of poultry has claimed another victim!}}} (NOT referring to you Hay!)

Now this is Wilder, the tiny and very sweet father of the white chicks above:

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

Wilder and Teaspoon, the mother:

He is protecting her from the camera flash.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Catscan, I adore that guy on the right who is about 9 shades of monochrome. Very classy.

Lodi, United States

Darcy and Emily. Emily is the mother of the black chicks, her sister Laura, who is gold laced like Darcy, is the mother of the reddish brown ones which I think will be gold laced as well.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Ferndale, WA

I like Chauncey, he and Dot are very similiar in color. Also the wheaten is pretty, reminds me a little of cocoa, not altogether but some what.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, this is where I place an order right? I want Laura & then that one rooster. They go with my couch. How much is shipping?

Lodi, United States

You mean Pumpkin, summerkid? He is really nice, but a little on the large size.

And now my beloved Nankin, Rankin, and her very mixed bantam chicks. They are at least part Japanese Bantam. Nankins are the absolute best mothers ever. And totally loving toward people...almost like Siamese cats. They talk to you and try to get you to understand what they want. Very interactive and intelligent.

Now don't you all wish I hadn't broken down and bought a new camera......

Thumbnail by Catscan
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Cat, I wouldn't know a large rooster from a small rooster. In my experience, there are boy roosters & boy roosters.

Honestly, I think Pumpkin is beyond gorgeous.

Lodi, United States

He is beautiful....kind of like a young Robert Redford. I kept him because of his colour, and then it turned out he actually has very good conformation.

Now all I have to do is find him a wife....

Thumbnail by Catscan
Ferndale, WA

SummerKid, thats only because you haven't seen Hay.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh yes. The vivid multicolors catch the eye of those of us who just grew up with white chickens who ended up in the freezer, but I love the subtle golds & greys of Pumpkin.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Hey -- you mean you are prettier than Pumpkin?

Ferndale, WA

No: I mean Hay the rooster. He's on Billy's barnyard thread

You also have not seen Booker the Looker.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 8:12 PM

Lodi, United States

Sad, very sad, Haystack.....:0)

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

mmmmm, nope. Pumpkin, hands down. Hay is a little flashy, don't you think? Seems like the type who'd puff out his chest & insist on dating the young chicks.

Ferndale, WA

Heres Booker the Looker

Thumbnail by Haystack
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh my word oh my word oh my word!!!
Catsy bought a new camera and now she is unstoppable!!! (btw, very nice focusing in those pics!)

They are all so beautiful! I am especially fond of Pumpkin also, but the silkie serama is adorable. I don't think he's ugly, I think he's fluffy and unique. Laura is stunning!

Apparently the silkie feathering gene is recessive:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/IdentifyingSilkieCrossChicks.html

How interesting! So what on earth did yours come from?! A spontaneous mutation?

Ferndale, WA

Your right about Hay the rooster, he's my namesake...LOLOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.