Where can I get some iris seeds?

Winnsboro, TX

Ok, after seeing all the different ways of growing irises from seeds I'm interested in getting a few and playing with them. I have grown daylilies from seeds I've bought off the Lily Auction. I've also grown some from my own iris seed pods which don't produce a bunch of seeds.

I'd like to try to grow some using the pvc pipe method and then line the little one's out. I understand alot of times you get some really ugly irises, but I still think it would be fun just to see what you come up with in a few years. Anyone got any ideal where I might could come up with some seeds???

Thanks in advance,
Marian (The lady that's not going to add any more irises or daylilies to her gardens) LOL Yeah, RIGHT! As long as I'm breathing and can get out there any work in the beds I'll continue to add a few here and there.

Lebanon, OR

Not right time of year for iris seeds, I plant all mine in Oct or early November, some plant as late as Jan. But the best way is to do crosses and get the seed.

Now remember you might get one out of the 1,000 that is truly worth introducing.

Much luck

D

Raleigh, NC

Dee's right Marian. You probably should cross your own.

Now, having said that - ask again this summer. Folks that don't hybridize can end up with bee pods. Someone might share.

I hybridize. Dee taught me. After a ton of work, not one sprout. So giving up the seeds I do get is not going to happen. Sorry. It's a labor of love.

there's lots of information in the iris forum about crossing irises. it's not likely to be a recent thread. Scan back through the threads and you'll find them.

La Pine, OR

Try the SIGNA seed exchange. You need to be a member of SIGNA, but they have a lot of great info and have lots of different types of iris seed available. Check out their website at www.SIGNA.org, then click on Seed Exchange. I know there are reblooming TB X reblooming TB seeds available (I donated them). There are also some other bearded seeds available, but they sell out fast.

Raleigh, NC

she might want to try tomorrow, Bill. I just tried that. The AIS website is down. and this one seems to be, too.

La Pine, OR

The site seems to be working now http://www.signa.org

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

The following are from SIGNA Seeds
Asenath

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Anaheim Daughter

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Lakeside Elf

Thumbnail by avmoran