February Valentine Orchids and beyond

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
Time for a new month of orchids. YAY!!!! We're coming from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069853/

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 9:33 AM

Thumbnail by boojum
Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi! Could someone give me some advice? I just purchased 3 orchids from a greenhouse and they are all planted in soil. I am confused, as I have read that they should be in orchid mix or barky mix. Should I repot or leave them as is? 2 are Phaelanopsis and one is a gorgeous Cym, all in bloom. Thank you so much.

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Correction, the third is a cattleya not cym.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

They should definitely not be in soil.
I wonder about the greenhouse owner, is the bark perhaps simply broken down and looks a bit like soil?

In the meanwhile - thanks to Kathy we have a new thread. Do we keep going here as usual despite this place having been sold?
I would like to see the regulars dropping in and say something before I start posting my stuff. It is very quiet here....

Well, I for one am going to post in both places. I hope we will get some differences between the two websites eventually and have twice the fun. Since I'm heading up the orchid stuff at the other website, let me know what you want there vs. here.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, PLEASE don't stop posting here until/unless things change for the worse! I live for your posts! Both pictures and advice.
Carol

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you RUK, I did not think it was right. It is real soil. I asked the woman when I made the purchase. It is a greenhouse full of orchids, associated with a historic garden. She said the head gardener likes to grow them this way.???? There was even a fern growing with the catt.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oops. Something is happening here. I have no time now to figure it out. Please explain, post photos or DM comments. My orchid "ship" is starting to come in this month (the anniversary of my re-collecting).

Kathy, thanks for the pretty beginnings.

S&S, it's not uncommon for ferns and other opportunistic plants to share space with orchids when the orchid medium is broken down. Maybe your seller meant the head gardener likes to grow in pots. Orchid mixes can break down quickly in warm climates or greenhouses.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I knew Dave's had been sold - but what's the other website you guys are talking about?

I sure hope you keep posting - I bet there's tons of lurkers like me who would be very sad if you didn't...I've learned a lot from you all.

Joanne

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Laural, check out the Dave's forum. It will take you a 12 hour day to read what's going on, but in a nutshell, Daves garden has been sold, and Dave has no place in the new management, as of yesterday. Talk about a hornets nest!
Carol

No time now to figure out the particulars. I'm working way long hours. DM if we need to stay in touch by other means. I don't otherwise social network. I'll help or friend you where I can.
Laurel

As I said, I already have another orchid website that I follow so i know it won't hurt to meet friends and get more info in two places. I have no plans to bail out of here, Dave or no Dave.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Things are going to be different here for sure....look, no orchid pics here! I'll have to correct that with my Dendrobium Rainbow Dance...

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd that pic is so outstanding! Not to mention the plant!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Todd, the Rainbow Dance is a beauty!
About double posting - let's see how both sites are "developing".....but there comes a point where one simply runs out of time.
In the meanwhile -
I am enjoying my cute miniature Sigmatostalix unguiculata.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a front-on view of the amazing flower

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

backing off

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The whole plant fits easily into my hand.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I brought the Dendrochilum glumaceum now into the living room to enjoy the wonderful scent of mainly Anise with a touch of Vanilla. On sunny days I also smell a bit of Almond.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

the spikes sway gently as one passes by

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a closer look

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and a close up

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

one more

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pleurothallis restrepioides
Now this Pleurothallis can get huge. Years ago it was growing well and at point I placed it into a mesh-basket. Not a good idea if room is a problem, it grew out of the holes of the basket in all direction with double tiers of keikis, making it very large and unwieldy. So a couple of years ago I took some good clean pieces and started a couple of new small pots. I will keep the growth upright this time.
This one seems to like a somewhat shady, moist and cool condition to do well and bloom.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

the spike

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and a close up of the shiny flowers

Thumbnail by RUK
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I need a camera that can take close-ups like yours Ursula! Are you usung a macro on an SLR or is it just a macro mode on a point and shoot?

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Maypop. Appreciate the info.

Do you have a DSLR Todd?
Love the Pleurothallis restrepioides! Be still my heart, those gorgeous green leaves!!! So healthy. I found out that J & L are selling Sigmatostalix unguiculata at the NH show in 2 weeks with a 10% off preorders. Time to haunt their website!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yup, that's where that one came from. Glad you could see the tag. :-)

Todd,
I have a DSLR Nikon D50 for a few years now and I have always simply played around with different settings which include the Macro setting and Aperture bracketing. The lens on this camera slowly but surely died finally a couple of weeks ago while giving creaking sounds and showing an inability to focus for a while now. Last week I replaced the lens (AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5 -5.6 G) with another one which is identical to the first except it has a VR setting, which prevents wiggles.
In addition I also picked up a Tamron ( SP AF 60 mm F/2 Di II Macro 1:1) macro lens, which I like for certain colors ( NOT white!!) and especially children's photos. ( the background stays softer)
But, I would NOT recommend the Tamron lens as an all around shoot everything lens because one can't back up far enough to get everything in view. I could imagine this one as really great for shooting a bug from a bit of a distance ( a foot or two) and still get a great macro shot. Unfortunately the Tamron also uses a motor to focus automatically ( in AF mode) which eats batteries, one can use the focus ring only in manual mode, as far as I can tell. (although the manual says otherwise /ok in AF - with a warning not to do so as it will injure the mechanism. Big mmmmmm)
Now the Nikon D50 with ITS lens uses very little battery power ( ca. 700 pictures on a new, freshly charged battery and still has "juice" left to download the pics) since the user always does most of the focussing by simply turning the ring on the lens.

The Dendrochilum pics were all shot with the Nikkor lens, I believe only the close-up of the Pleurothallis restrepioides and the spike were shot with the Tamron. I am playing around with both and pick the best.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 5:15 PM

Cool. I have a 60mm macro lens on my Canon 50D. Closest I've ever gotten.
Den. Princess x unicum opened.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Kathy your Dendrobium is like a pale version of my Rainbow Dance...you can see the influence of the unicum parent.

I have a Nikon Coolpix8800. It is much like a SLR in looks but is really a glorified point and shoot. I also have a CanonS5IS...same idea. The former has a macro mode..the latter a super macro which gets really close. Still, they do not seem as crisp as those from a SLR lens. I plan on getting a NikonD90 in the spring.

I've had a Coolpix and a Canon point and shot till now. I am still struggling to understand my new DSLR. Finally bought a great book specific to my camera.
I wondered if there was some Den parent in common since we are both in bloom.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There is a famous orange-yellow D. unicum hybrid that is on the market as well...more common than either of ours but the name escapes me at the moment. I'm surprised if someone on orchidboard doesn't show it. (I used to be a member but I'm in too many forums these days)

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dendrobium Pixie Charm ( Yellow Chinsai x unicum)

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Todd, your Den Rainbow Dance is fabulous. Could you tell me whether there is a scent? Thanks, Janice

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

No fragrance I'm afraid.

Thanks Ursula...that's the one.

I've got a good feeling about this $3 Paph. save from last Spring. It's named too. I'll tell you when it opens.

Ursula, is the Pleuro. from Andy's? Beautiful. Looks familiar.

Kathy, I'm using DH's Cannon EOS XT. I'm a clueless photographer. Driving him nuts spinning dials and saying, "What's this? What's that?" Maybe he'd be less threatened if he'd ever read the directions. Guy thing?

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Todd, your picture of Dendrobium Rainbow Dance is just fantastic. You always take good pics but this one is special.

Ursula, the Pleurothallis restrepioides macro shot is also excellent. These ae two of the best pictures I've seen in a good long while.

I have some vandas spiking but nothing more in bloom right now.

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks! :-) I try.
The Pleurothallis restrepioides was a present years ago and I no longer have the original tag. But I would think it came from Hoosier Orchids.

Hmm, beyond the basics I don't read the whole camera manual right away either, unless I need to look up something specific. I play with the settings and try them out, then backtrack them in Elements 4 via bridge. On the other hand reading up on useful techniques can come in handy....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.