ID Verification sought; male & female Yellow-rumped Warblers

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I've photoed the male only once before, but this is the first time I've ever captured what I think is a female. Would the female of the species be a Lifer for me, or do Lifers only count for the species, regardless of gender?

Where's what I'm pretty sure is the male Yellow-rumped Warbler. Am I correct?

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Another look at the male.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, here's the one I think is a female Yellow-rumped Warbler. Am I correct on this one?

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's another look at her.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Last look at her.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Both birds were photographed today in approximately the same area.

Hack

San Luis Obispo, CA

Both are the Myrtle form of Yellow-rumped Warbler. Male and female as you said in your photos with the female having hatched last year (brown edging on the feathers that create the streaks on the back), while the male has bluish edges to those same feathers on the back (he is an older bird). Good call!

As for counting on your list, most folks don't count gender on their life list, but a list is personal. So your call as to whether you want to count it...

Greg

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, slobird, I didn't think gender made a difference. I way I was thinking, male Cardinal, female Cardinal - it still counts on the Lifer list as a Cardinal.

Hack

San Luis Obispo, CA

Well your answer to the list question certainly makes more sense than mine did...

Greg

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

One of my favorite birds, and they don't sit still for long. Good job catching them both!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.