Climbing blueberry or apple berry vine, does anyone grow it?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am casting about for a vine to cover a new fence and hide the raw look.
I would like the vine to be ornamental and edible as well as functional.

One suggestion I am considering was the apple berry vine or Billardiera longiflora.
http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/vines/BillardieraLongiflora.html

According to plantfiles, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74155/ it should be suited to my location and the area I will place it will have morning sun only in summer.

Does anyone have any experience with this vine?
Easy to germinate from seed?
Or any other suggestions that will suit my desires?

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

My post just went away, so will try again. I grow it here, very easy from seed. Have not tried cuttings but seeds are quick and easy. But its not a big vine and will take a long time to cover a fence. ( I do not find the berries the least bit tasty, pretty but not tasty) Mine lived through the hard frost we got without any damage. If you like the look of that one another simular one is Sollya. Both have great foliage and nice evergreen habits.

For something bigger and quicker, everygreen clematis would do the trick. They do have some now that will not eat everything in sight. A new lovely one is called Early Sensation, nice different foliage and beautiful blooms. For part shade with only morning sun, an everygreen climbing hydrangea would be lovely. Or if you fence is big enough, some of several different vines would be really pretty.

Thank you for sharing your information Rebeccanne. I do have alot of fence to cover and bloomers will be nice but I had hoped for a vine that would produce a food source also. Clematis are a bit difficult here. I like the hydrangea idea and will check into that. Thanks for the ideas. pod

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

If your fence is strong, you might consider kiwi. It gets huge, you need at least one male plant for fruit. I think one male to 8 female vines is what they say. They will lose leaves in winter but you could grow something evergeen along with it. And there is always grapes.

I have found lots of things supposed to be "tasty" in rainyside actually are definatly not. This vine is one of them.

I appreciate your sharing your experience on that. I had thought about grapes and will check into the Kiwi. Who doesn't love them? 8 )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.