Off topic, but anyone ever owned a Great Pyrenees

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, so not exactly garden related. But just curious if any of you have ever owned a Great Pyr or known anyone who has. I know they grow to be very large, but we've really been thinking about getting one of these beautiful dogs. Would love to get more feedback before we go looking for a breeder. The closest I can find are either in Georgia or NC.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The Carolina's actually have a rescue site:

http://www.carolinapyrrescue.com/index.aspx

Has lots of info on the breed.

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't know anything about them, but they sure are cute pups, judging by that pic. If you get one, be sure to show us some photos. :)

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

We're still trying to decide between a Golden Retriever and the Pyr. The Pyr may be too big for our yard/home - so we're thinking we might wait until we have more room in the future. Haven't ruled them out, but I want to make sure we've got the right space. I've owned a Retriever before, and I think with good training it'd be another great choice. Decisions decisions.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

One thing with the Great Pyrenees, they're cold weather dogs. Dog might spend all summer trying to hide in the shade. Don't know from experience but I do know some people who have gotten dogs that more suited for cold climates and they didn't look all to happy during the summer. My favorite was the husky that dived in the lagoon any chance he got. Or swimming pool, fountain, basically any water he could fit in. The funny part was this lady who owned the husky would get so mad that the dog did that. When he would go swimming in their pool his hair would end up plugging up the pool filter. LOL.

The streets are littered with Golden Retrievers down here so I would just get a pound puppy if you're going to get one of those. A full breed male Golden can be 80-100 lbs, they're not exactly small and need a big space to get exercise.

Any ways I would make sure what the original purpose of what ever dog you get. If you get a herding dog realize that it will want to herd things and if he's not getting the chance to do that he will most likely find something else to do with himself. You probably won't like it. It's like border collies, I like those dogs but they are a handful especially when they are young. That's coming from a guy who has two schnauzers, they're a little on the high strung side.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

The cold weather thing was another concern I had. Plus the barking and shedding - though I got different reports on that depending which site I read. Many sites said the Pyr's give enough fur twice a year to make a sweater or two. Victoria didn't much care for the sound of that. The internet is full of contradictions on practically every breed. I believe the golden is a good fit for us because I believe once it matures (which I know can take a few years), it'll be the more mature and loyal dog we're looking for - especially if we invest in good training. It's also not too big for our home or yard - which is probably why we'll also lean towards a female.

I know there are a lot of pound animals available, but honestly, I'm incline to get a AKC dog that comes from a very reputable breeder. I owned a Golden when I was younger and it was not from a very reputable breeder - it had a lot of health problems through its life. If a little extra money means a health guarantee, good bloodlines, and a happier dog, I'll spend the money. Prices go from a modest $250 to upwards of $1000. Sounds crazy, but then I think of all the parrot prices and how much higher they are than that even (of course parrots also live 50+ years too though). I figure we've got plenty of time to think on this - most pups are born in the spring from what I've read/heard. So we're just keeping a look out for what's available and our options open.

Raleigh, NC

This may sound silly, but....

you might want to also consider the condition of your yard. If you have a lot of exposed red clay. or very loose soils. This is a white dog. your very cute pup is going to be a very big very hairy white dog. White animals don't look so cute covered in red clay. and dogs LIKE to dig. How much time are you willing to groom? one advantage of the retriever I've discovered - you can't hardly see red clay mud on 'em! LOL

Johns Island, SC

I hear ya, keonikale! Grew up "up north" and fell in love with Alaskan Malamutes at an early age. Still love the breed, but I can't have one (first time in almost 60 years!). Finished 3 Champions. But I promise you on personal experience, those cold weather dogs don't take well to our climate, at all! So I would ask you to consider that observation in your decision....

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone. After a lot of thought, I feel we've confidently decided on the Golden Retriever instead. Having owned one before, I know a lot about them and what to expect. We've already found a breeder we like in NC, and they just had a litter born the 1st of Feb. So we're looking into them at the moment.

Thank you all again.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Is it a breeder that does show dogs or hunting dogs??? The breeders who breed hunting dogs tend to have better built dogs as opposed to one that are breeding for show dog looks. Just a thought.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

They are show dogs, both parents have AKC pedigrees (though I'm always on the fence about how reliable those are). The sire is from Europe actually, and the dam's aren't pushed to breed continuously. The breeder definitely isn't a puppymill or backdoor breeder, and they are active in the breeding community to better the dogs. They also have a 2yr health guarantee, which was important to me. My last golden had the common hip problems for most of his life, and I do not want to see a dog experience that again. We're set on a female, since that's what Victoria would like. We're definitely going to do formal training as well - and start early at 8 weeks, probably continuing into the first year or two.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I had one as best friend growing up I still miss him
There are quite a bunch of them here in Pamlico county. Loveable and so good with other animals/protective and they love children.

Lavina

Johns Island, SC

My experience with this breed is limited, keonokale, but the Labs in general rarely show "disposition/behavioral" problems---regardless of breeding---and that should be your first concern. You are SO right to concentrate on the goals of the breeder! Explore them to the fullest!... If disposition "seems" secondary to them, trust your instincts... They can grow into very large dogs...

Wilson, NC

IMO much better choice that a Great Pyr....my brother in NH owned one, and yes, they are cute pups, and beautiful when grown (and clean); however, my brother's dog was MEAN, NASTY, and Threating to anyone not living in the same home. I was a yearly visitor and "Rufus" would sit or lay within "striking distance" and growl low in his chest every time I moved. A very scary and one owner (family) dog.

Johns Island, SC

I think you're wise to be cautious with any "pedigree", keonikale. My best advice; go to the site. See their dogs...how they respond to you. And others. Stay away from "skittery" litters (you CAN spot them easily!), regardless of what the seller's say. Bottom line, it's your choice. But if you get a "bad vibe" from a breeder or litter...walk! Fast. And it's really that obvious...if you pay attention to the litter, breeder, and every other input...you'll pick a winner! ...Lot like Life it's ownself...

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Ask the breeder if you may speak to other puppy buyers.
Also I would not limit myself to a female, I would ask for the best suited puppy to the family. The breeder will know which dog will fit best. You don't want a high drive dog when you don't live a very active lifestyle. Or a couch potato when you want to go hiking, running or hunting all day.
Have you met the parents? Or at least the bitch? She will be raising the puppies, and temperment problems can be passed by the bitch in the whelping box. If she is shy the puppies will be shy, if she is happy and kind the puppies will be. Of course the puppies temperments will be better or worse within the litter but getting to see the nature of the parents is the important
Most information on Pedigrees is online or you can ask other breeders, you can also check OFA for any reported testing and look at hip scores if the breeder has made them public. Once you get a kennel name you can check and see if there are many problems within the lines. Yes this could take days but it was worth it to me to do the research. It took me 3 months to find a breeder, and then I had to wait and see if the bitch was pregnant then wait for the puppies to be born, then wait until they were 8 weeks and ready to go home. it was 6 mos by the time I got my puppy, and I am glad I did the research.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

There's a good book by the Monks of New Skete which contains information on how to select a puppy.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=monks+of+new+skete&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6921210537059161572&sa=X&ei=dTZrT9PxCIjMgQfO3ejEBg&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAg#
It's inexpensive on line, and helped us when we got Toby, our Entlebucher from a breeder in Illlinois. He's now 12, and has the personality we were looking for. Too smart for his own good, but we like a dog with that personality.

Entlie

Johns Island, SC

I'll vouch for that, Entlie! I'd never even HEARD of the breed the first time I met Toby. After four years of serving in the Staten Island Training Club ( Obedience) back in the day, thought I'd seen them all. Color that WRONG. Only met him for a short time a few years ago, but he quickly won me over. Now it's an AKC registered breed, and we can watch them at Madison Square Garden every year! The breed seems to have "caught on" (but that's when the trouble starts!)... You can't get better than Toby!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Stono, I passed your message along to Toby and he agrees!
Entlie

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Toby loves the dinghy and thinks it's his boat. When he is left behind, he scans the horizon to see his boat coming back. He also loves cats, but they don't know that, so usually avoid him.

Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I LOVE dogs who have those cute little brown spots on their heads. Toby looks like a good pal to me.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Mainejae, that is most likely because Pyrs are bred to be Livestock Guardian Dogs. They've been doing that job in France for 5000 years. Unfortunately, some dogs may take that farther than the owners might wish :).
They can be socialized and trained to overcome that (they can be show or obedience dogs quite easily), but they are bred to be working dogs.

Sadly, they have also become more "popular" in recent years, seldom a good thing for a breed.

I think a Golden is a good choice, as well :). And while I always encourage adopting rescue/shelter dogs, I have no problem with someone who wants to buy from a well-researched breeder.

Someday I will do just that....

Johns Island, SC

You really have to meet Toby "up close and personal" to appreciate him...I have been lucky enough to have done so...he's a really great guy... also, a really great dog...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.