Mystery Campanula

(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone,

I grew this plant from seed a few years ago. It was supposed to be Campanula raineri but turned out to be something else. It died it's first winter outside but I'd really like to know what it is all the same. Does anyone recognize it?

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It looks like Symphyandra wanneri... and since S. wanneri is often monocarpic (or biennial at best, according to Nicholls) that ID might fit its behavior, as well.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Alta! I never thought of looking at another genus. Symphyandra seems to fit the bill perfectly ..... :-) I think there's a volunteer growing in my rock wall, the foliage looks the same ..... hope it flowers next year :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Symphyandra and Campanula are both Campanulaceae and for some species, the differentiation seems somewhat unclear... for example Symphyandra hoffmannii just got moved to Campanula hoffmannii. (Not sure how many times it's gone back and forth?)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Hello Rann!
So nice to hear from you. I too think it is S. wanneri. This was mine last year. I never said I was an expert grower, but it does suffice.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

And has yours been monocarpic, biennial, or longer-lived, Rick?

(Zone 5a)

Thanks again for the info .... I wasn't familiar with that genus so I'm very happy to have had a speciment from it :-) It's so confusing when they keep moving things around isn't it?

Rann

(Zone 5a)

Hi Rick we crossed - it is a beauty isn't it? Wish it would stick around ...... so happy to finally have a name for this plant :-)

monocarpic, biennial, or longer-lived

This was the second year from seed, and first time blooming. The two that I kept that bloomed did die during the summer. Others I sold at our plant sale with the stipulation that they would probably monocarpic. A couple of the potted ones in their second year did not bloom and stayed as rosettes. Of course, they have not died yet.

Symphyandra armena, however, so far I am finding to be either biennial or short lived perennial. All mine are second year seedlings. All bloomed, but some croaked at the end of the summer, while others retained their earlier tuft of greenery, signaling another year in store, and continued life after seed production.

For some reason, I really had a difficult time getting a decent pic of these. The left one is monocarpic. The right I expect to live another year. This pic taken relatively early in their bloom season, and the difference became more evident as the summer progressed.

Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood

They flowered quite heavily, although rather floppy. They are growing in fairly rich soil which probably encourages this, but also would also encourage a shorter lifespan.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
(Zone 5a)

nice pics Ric - sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's monocarpic?

Ric

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Monocarpic behavior means the plant dies after blooming, without producing offsets.

Edit: Or rather, any offsets it produced (if it is a species that does that), will die at that time as well.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2010 6:30 AM

(Zone 5a)

OK, thanks :-) That sounds about right ...... shame though, such a pretty plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.