Overcoming the Fear of Trying Something New

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I still remember how I hated eating those awful green peas Mom put on my plate. Couldn't have dessert until I ate them all. EEEEEEWWWW! I quickly learned that anything that was green and good for me would make me nauseous. Imagine my surprise a few years ago when I tried Pistachio ice cream for the first time! Mmmmmmmm! Then I discovered real pistachios, which are now a staple in my pantry.

In my quest to eat healthier, I have put off trying soy. If it's good for me, surely it can't taste good. Well, I took the plunge last week and bought some chocolate Silk (soy milk). I hate milk as a general rule and was expecting to hate soy milk even more. So it set in the fridge for a few days before I finally mustered up the courage to try it. But I actually like it! It doesn't taste like milk really although it looks and feels like it. But it seems to have a "cleaner, silkier" taste. And no lactose so I don't get a queasy tummy after drinking it.

Next I'll start using silk in my smoothies and in other recipes. It's good for me and it tastes good. (AND it's not green! LOL)

At some point, I want to learn to like mushrooms, since they're so good for me. But I can't help but equate them to snails; they're just so slimy. I always rake them off a pizza.

Another food I'd like to try is salmon. Here in the south, everyone eats catfish which I really don't like. But I have found I like some seafood, so maybe I'd like some good salmon if I could find a place that cooks it. Maybe we'll get a Red Lobster here soon. Since we got a new mall a couple of years ago, lots of big national restaurant chains have moved here, like Olive Garden, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday, etc.

What new foods have you tried and were you surprised by the taste? What new things do you plan to try or are afraid to try? What did you think you'd never try/like, but have discovered it to be awesome?

NancyAnn

This thread has 100 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!