What salads to plant in Perth in February?

Perth, Australia

Most of the lettuce, Rocket, etc planted in late November 2009 is going to seed and the Tomatoes aren't looking too flash either, all were planted with our 2 Granddaughters as a bit of a project which has been an interesting exercise.

Should I just rip them out and replant the same - Guess I'm looking for some recommendations/guidance, situated about 8>9klm north of Perth so sandy soil, though we have added the usual stuff over the years but this season has been our first serious attempt to grow anything for the table and it has been good, so looking to where we go from here.

Thanks for any input.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 12:16 PM

Too much heat has the greens bolt to seed ...I notice even my Basil is flowering.
Salad greens do best with a semi shade in a hot summer situation.
Not too late to plant cherry tomatoes, they seem tougher and perfect for children.
Try puting a few things in pots so you can move them if the weather is awful.
good luck.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I would think that being North of Perth you could still plant any Tomato Seedlings and Cucumbers, Lettuce etc.
Brian

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

go to coles

Barmera, Australia

We are growers of plants g-whizz. Why don't you get your liliums or what ever from Coles too?
Brian

i actually purchased a ranuncula,last year,from coles..i was thinking WA would be 'too evil' temperature for vegies..and...at the same time,the nearest coles store might be 200 km away.,.,.,.,imagine,COLES ""DOLLAR DAZZLER""" LILIUMS ,woolworths watsonia wonders,BI-LO brilliant babianas..,.,price wars with a difference

This message was edited Feb 28, 2010 9:20 AM

Barmera, Australia

G'Day g-whizz,
WA currently produces large quantities of fruit and vegetables for the eastern markets. A lot is produced around Lake Argyle and I thought that Billee1 being just above Perth would still be able to plant the salad veggies.
As to the "too evil" weather, I have a daughter who lived in various suburbs of Perth and her Veggies always seemed to produce earlier and bigger crops than I could get here.
Brian

thanks brian,theres a lesson learned everyday

Perth, Australia

We planted some Cherry Tomatoes we bought from a metro swap meet very sturdy bushes about 30 to 40cm high great tasting fruit very dark green leaves (Don't know the name) and also planted a new crop of Basil and Rocket plus some Lettuce which are all doing well.

In November we planted some Mizuma/Mizuna which has proved to be very a hardy and versitile green for salads and stirfrys, a couple of times when sprinlers blocked on some very hot days it wilted and looked pretty poorly but when watered it came back almost while we watched it...amazing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.