Clematis - Paniculata

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Last year at the end of the Garden Centre season I bought a Paniculata for practically nothing. It grew like a weed up a railing by the front door. It bloomed very nicly. Now my question is....What do I do with it?
The tag says, type 3 pruning. I have no idea what that means. Do I cut it back in the spring or just leave it the way it is now?
Thanks, Chuck

Thumbnail by dogwalker
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

If it is a type 3/c then it blooms on new wood in the summer and fall. These clems should be pruned to just above the first set of leaf nodes from the ground, usually around one foot. I usually do this at the time the forsythia start to bloom when the roses, butterfly bushes and russian sage also get their spring haircut. It just makes it easier for me to remember that it is time. Here is a link that might help.
http://clematisnursery.com/Pruning.aspx

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I got one of those too ngam, thanks! ☺
(... grows like wildfire! lol!)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

You are welcome. I think that explanation I posted a link to of the pruning whys and wherefores is about the best I have seen for clems.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ooohhh! I love the scent. I have some by back deck, but mine doesn't spread like wildfire. Wish it did.

Hallowell, ME

We have one on our front fence and was it beautiful last year. We've got to get some more!!! I didn't know it was a type 3 though. That helps alot otherwise I probably wouldn't have done anything to it. We also have about 6 or 7 more clematis around the yard and they all do well. I've got the group/type on a plant label by each plant so I can remember when to prune.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sounds lovely Frank. I keep the info on the computer files of pics so I can remember who is who and what group they are for pruning. Looking forward to seeing some of your clems when they wake up and start to bloom again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.