Geraniums (Pelargonium) for 2010

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Last year was the 1st time I had tried geraniums from seed and they did great. The lime tri-color one in the middle of the pic was from a friend who started it from seed and I had started the Bullseye one with the dark leaf to the left of the tri-colored one, in the same pot.

This weekend I'm going to seed some Ivy Geraniums, Bullseye & Black Magic (Velvet).

Richters, www.richters.com sell a bunch of scented plants, but only off the Apple Pelargonium odoratissimum (smells like apple & cinnamon) seeds. It's the leaves that smell, not the flowers. Last year I got a few plugs from Richters that were old rose scent. It's a little weird to have a plant that has such a strong smell of something else

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 6a)

That lime geranium is a real beauty! Last time I started geraniums I neglected them and they didn't bloom till September so thats put me off seeding them.....for now anyways. After I see your pics this summer I'll probably change my mind!

I bought the Apple Scented geranium as a plant from Richters a couple years back and I love it! It tends to self seed in the garden through the summer so you can just dig up the seedlings in the fall for a fresh plant each year. It also flowers faster then regular geraniums.

By the way, do you have the name of that giant white Dahlia in the back of your pic?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Dahlia is from Veseys a few year ago (I store the tubers in a heated garage for the winter). It was part of a Dinner Plate collection and I did not record the name. The blooms are about 8" diameter

This message was edited Jan 27, 2010 4:17 PM

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 6a)

Very nice! I'm off to check out Veseys! For some reason I didn't get their catologue this year....but thats probably a good thing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.