Kitchen Remodel

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

My kitchen has been needing a major overhaul since we moved in here in 1989. Two years ago, after hunting season ended, my husband decided it was TIME to get started. My husband is a carpenter, and like the cobbler whose children have no shoes, or the mechanic whose wife's car barely gets around town, I knew that it would be a long drawn out process. I was determined to NOT nag him about however long it took to get the job done. He works hard all day long and enjoys hunting.

He mainly works on new homes so was much more up to snuff on what's "in" these days than I was. On the other hand, I spend much more time in the kitchen than he does, so pretty much knew what I wanted the final result to be. Every time I'd suggest something, he'd nix the idea and tell me why he didn't like it. There was quite a bit of frustration over this, but in the long run, we compromised and I'm delighted with the way the kitchen is now.

I've unloaded and reloaded the kitchen cabinets time after time over the past 2 years. I'm glad that I don't have to do that any more. Many other home and hunting projects have begun and finished since the kitchen began. So all in all, I'm pleased as punch that it's not taken any longer than it has to get to the point we are at today.

We've done the majority of the work ourselves and saved a ton of money. We had someone he works with come in to do the countertops, back splash and flooring. There have been some errors made that were easily enough corrected. I've taken over 400 photos of each step of the remodel and "documented" them in a slide show. I've put off sharing this project (except with a few folks here at DG) until this point because I wanted to be closer to completion before I started a thread about it. It's still not complete. We still have to have cabinet doors and drawer fronts made. We also need to get a new stainless steel refrigerator. Both of these are going to be a major expense.

Due to the number of photos, I will post a link to the slide show rather that posting the photos here. I hope you will enjoy seeing the transformation of our kitchen and welcome your comments and suggestions.

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/2147752_2310203#imageID=30535761

Janet
UniQue Treasures

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!