Relaxing - How do you do it?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I know it might sound like a stupid question, but how do you actually relax? I was an energetic, inquisitive, high-strung child and teenager, and I'm still the same as a 46-yr old woman. I can't relax. I'm never just sitting around doing nothing. If I'm watching tv, I'm also working on something (working on the computer, balancing the checkbook, etc). I sleep only 3-5 hrs a night. If I go on vacation, it's a working vacation; I'll be doing landscaping, home repairs, etc for a family member of friend. I honestly do not go on vacation unless I know I'll have "chores" to do. Even when I'm sick and in terrible pain, I'm doing something. I figure it'll hurt whether I'm busy or not and being busy at least helps get my mind off the pain a little. I was sanding hardwood floors in my brother's rent house while passing a kidney stone.

I took a yoga class and failed it miserably. When we got to the quiet, peaceful time, I wanted to escape. I tried breathing exercises and I get so anxious. I've tried baths, but sitting uselessly in a tub annoys me. I do walk 3-6 miles a day and that helps some. And I do garden, but I do it compulsively I'm afraid--my entire yard is a botanic garden; I have no lawn. I also get a massage each month but it's so hard for me to relax and thoroughly enjoy it and reap the full benefits of it. My masseuse says I'm just a bundle of knots.

I have some health issues which my endocrinologist thinks is partly the result of my inability to relax. He has recommended green tea and melatonin, knowing that I despise drugs. But I may have to have some drugs eventually as my adrenal glands are in overdrive since I'm always wired. If you met me, you would say I'm hyperactive. I've changed my diet over the past couple of years so that I'm now following a raw food plan, mostly fruits, veggies and nuts--no caffiene and very little sugar.

I've got to learn to calm my body and mind down. I've been reading about meditation and think I'll give it a real try. I'm also going to try breathing exercises and yoga again. But how do I quiet my mind? How do you relax? What works for you? Any tips, information and websites you can recommend would be beneficial. I'm prematurely aging myself and perpetuating health issues that I shouldn't have. Are there other herbs or vitamins I could add to my diet? Are there particular techniques that work for you?

Thank you for any suggestions.

NancyAnn

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!