Helleborus help... dead or dying?

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I planted helleborus from a spring dave's co-op. more than 1/2 died up... I planted 12 there are 5 left. 3 are in a protected location, deep dark green and very healthy in appearance. 1 is pretty good looking, semi protected from wind and snow doing okay, jut dot as deep and rich in color. the one pictured was the best looking, planted in compost/topsoil and the only one with flowers starting as of december. as of january, it has been rapidly going the way of the one's that browned than disappeared. This one plant, the hardiest of all until january was fine, got buried in the snow, like the rest.. but is the only one browning out.. is there something to be done?

any advice is very appreciated as I am only on my second year of trying anything other than veggies.
thanks
-joe-

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hellebores take a couple years to take, mine looked exactly like that the first winter after I planted.
New growth on mine in April

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

so there is hope..
thanks..
-joe-

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Yes I agree mine look like that particularly if there is no snow cover. They don't look alive again until late march or april. They also took several years before I got a bloom which is around the middle of April here.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

They look like crap by this time of year. As soon as I can get outside, I cut that old foliage completely.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

It was my understanding they bloom in the snow.. lured by the story i'm sure you've all heard about the three kings and the little girl with no present for baby jesus..

Technical question..are they one of the the last to bloom then they die... or one of the the first to bloom?

Cosmetic question..the deep dark color is wonderful up until now, but snow drops are starting to peek out. I am trying to keep that deep dark green color in a plant, hopefully one thet blooms as year round as possible in a small (20' x 5')perennial/bulb combo berm. the january gap isn't terrible as the grasses are not mowed yet, is there a similar smaller plant that can provide that dark green during a full sun winter and mostly shade summer without spreading to far. (under a tree around a 20 gal pond?) or is patience the key and the helleborous will take hold and do the intended job.
-joe=-

That's Helleborus niger. Is that what yours is? It's known as Christmas Rose. (Lenten rose is H orientalis, and blooms later. The hybrids will first bloom anywhere from Feb to Mar for me.)

Are you looking for an evergreen for the area you describe? Hellebore does look ratty the closer it gets to new bloom.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I do have the niger... However I bought two of each available in the co-op and forgot to label the bed. The bed key points are the lilies, small pond with a bridge over it, and grasses as an anchor. there is an absence of pretty much any sign of life at this point except for the dry gr ass and lilly stalks still standing... just looking for a splash of color , a deep green would be nice.. if it gets lost during the major bloom times, it is fine.. Lillies are key players here. i will post a pic, it's getting dark - so maybe tomarrow

i would really appreciate any tips..

thanks
-joe-

Nandina is nice and provides both bright red berries and colorful foliage throughout the winter. Holly is another option. Also sweetbox.

Another possibility is a small mountain laurel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.