Guidance needed - early blooming too early?

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

our january thaw has been warmer, longer, and later than usual here on the shoreline. I am a vaggie gardener poking my head full steam into flowers. My berm is on it's second year. I wanted spring color so I planted snowdrops in front of the lillies last fall around the swame time garlic went in.. the sun facing side of the berm has snowdrops getting ready to flower - the weekend is supposed to get us out of the thaw and back into winter - around 34 during the day, high teens low 20's at nite.

well, you are all familiar with the weather, I don't know if i need to care for the early guys or just let them be. if they were veggies, i'd bury them in straw and a row cover..

-joe-

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
South Hamilton, MA

Snowdrops often flower in Jan & grow under the snow. You might pile some leaves on them for awhile. any other ideas?

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank you..

I was thinking of straw but wouldn't want them to have too little light, i wasn't expecting them until march.. are they hardy enough to handle february. or can I straw mulch with the top peeking out like my strawberries. I was assuming I planted too shallow.

-joe-

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Lots of spring bulbs will start to grow during warm spells in late winter. They will start and slow down according to the soil temp. Snow drops start earlier than most others so are the most likely to show up in the Jan thaw. You can toss a few leaves over them if you want but the return of cold temps should stop them growing for a while again.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would not worry, Joe.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank you for your help.. .I built the berm as a valentines present for my wife two years ago.. I am new to a planned flower garden and she loves it. I do wish sometimes she would share the love for weeding and not just eating the veggies.. but she is a beautiful woman and am trying to maintain something new to me, but contains every favorite flower of hers.. I love nothing mor than that beautiful smile when a new flower emerges...

sometimes i think i should have bought a joke book instead (kidding)
-joe-

Romance lives! Be thankful that she at least appreciates gardening. Mine does not.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I feel for you.... it took some time.
-joe-

Well as long as my wife still feels for me, I'll put up with it. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.