Starting Coleus inside

Jupiter, FL

Hi every one,

Dave's search engine seems to be down and I was hoping for some help.

The cold weather we had down here in Florida ( zone 10 a) was hard on my coleus.
My husband just rigged a inside growing set up with (2 )17 watt aquarium lights made for growing plants.
I also purchased a few heating pads for plants.

I took cuttings from one of my favorite coleuses and have the plant root ball and all
under these lights. I confident that the plant with the root ball will grow...... but what about the cuttings ? Am I expecting too much ?

Have any of you started cuttings inside like this ? I have never use grow lights before , never needed to until this horrible winter.

Any information that would improve the survival chances of my coleus would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
loveyard

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Cuttings need high humidity to root well. Either use a humidity dome over them or place in a plastic bag. Make sure drainage is adequate. In about a week remove the plastic cover and test for a few hours. If they wilt put them in the plastic again for a few days and try removing again every few days.

Karen

New Hyde Park, NY

Hi loveyard,

I grow my Coleus plants from cuttings the same way that Karen does. Attached is a picture of mine growing in yogurt cups under regular flourescent shop lights in November. See the next post for my plants in January.

Good Luck!

Thumbnail by daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

Here are my Coleus in January.

Thumbnail by daisy_lee
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I take cuttings in fall and put them in seed starting trays.I will switch to cups for next year. Mine are on shelves in my livingroom window.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Jupiter, FL

Thanks everybody :)

I didn`t think about making a mini terrarium for humidity. That a good idea.

At this time I don`t have any leaves on the plant / cuttings.The cold weather zapped them off. I have been turning on the lights and heat mat at 6 am and cutting it off a 6 pm. Maybe I should extend this.

I just place a order at Rosie Dawns for 23 more. I will bring them in next winter.

Thanks,
D`Ann

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about your cuttings.They may yet start new leaves.

Daisy-lee, do you know the name of the dark one in the lower left of your first photo?

Thanks!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone start coleus from seed, and which varieties are the best to buy? Is it too late in the year, or do they grow quickly...I am pretty much a newbie on this, though I have taken cuttings of coleus in the summertime from purchased plants many time to increase and make many more plants.

Thanks!

Evelyn

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Onewish 1 starts seeds

Onewish1, where are you?

Evelyn

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My husband and I have started coleus from seed for years! I love Park's 'Carefree Mix' but there are many others as well and all are easily grown.

Thanks, pirl. Would it be too late to start some now? I usually buy plants, but I do have a packet of seeds. I just have so many seeds, and I am learning which ones needed to be started now..

Thanks!

It's definitely not too late. Have fun and don't forget to water only from the bottom.

New Milford, CT

In January I started a Burpee mix of seeds in a Jiffy tray with the peat disks that swell up when you water them. I had seedlings in less than 24 hours. Grew at a moderate pace, and eventually I moved them into six-pack pots I saved from buying annuals. Then the cats suddenly developed an interest and I had to move them outdoors. It's really too cold for them, I think -- I'm new to gardening and to coleus -- but they're next to the house on the east side so they get good morning sun and warmth from the house, and I cover them every night with light plastic sheeting. They've been there for a few nights now, one even down in the 30s, and so far so good. They're about 4" tall at the most.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmmmmm. The cold nights will eventually make a difference. Last year my too early planting was a bust for the most part and the plants didnt stop growing and drop leaves for a week or so after the night average temps were 40. Coleus really like 50 * nights and warmer if possible.
Too bad about the cats. I have 3 and they dont bother the house plants but have leveled the nepeta Walkers Low to the ground. I have caged the plants to give them a decent start.I will spray with Repellsall.You dont want to use that repellent in the house .It smells horrible.
I wonder if there is a product at a pet store that keeps cats off house plants. It might be worth a try.

They want 60 degrees or more.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I knew 50 was pushing it.They were already planted so I was covering them everynight for a week. We also had a killing frost the 18th of May.
What a disaster.
I will definatly wait for Memorial Day weekend to put RD in the planters.

It always is worth the wait to put them outside. One frost or very cold night can kill or harm the plants we've tended inside since October. Just not worth the risk for me.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

amen

New Milford, CT

I was afraid you experts were going to say that. I'll have to think of something and get them back inside (they're still in pots, not in the ground). Funny, for the first three months I had them in a window, the cats couldn't have cared less. Then all of a sudden a week or so ago ... oy.

New Milford, CT

Well, for now I came up with the most obvious solution which had previously eluded me ... duh. I'm locking up the COLEUS in a separate room at night, and taking them outside during the day. Instead of trying to lock up the 4 cats during the night ...

Of course this means I have to remember to move them morning and night, we'll see how long that lasts.

Move the coleus morning and night or the cats? (Only kidding.)

Write a big note...COLEUS. Put it either on your pillow or by the remote or near your cooking area (or all three spots) so you'll remember to bring them back inside and please take them in if it gets windy. The wind can snap the stems all too easily.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

If you looked up weird in them dictionary, both of your photos would be along side. Love you, Sharon of Las Vegas. My worms are fine.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

better late than never????.... sorry I missed that you needed help... yes I start seeds every year... so far I have had luck with all that I have bought.. I will go take some photos of which and post them... but they are SLLLOOOWWW growing... I started mine in late Feb.. once they get going they take off... most of mine needed pinching a while ago (which I didn't do)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oops correction... I started them in Jan

here is my list

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/84623/

photo of the kongs (that needed to be potted up a while ago.. lazy year)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and all the others

edit -- the down side of growing them from seed... they want to go to seed quickly... have to keep up on pinching them

This message was edited May 18, 2010 7:56 AM

Thumbnail by onewish1
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Onewish, where did you get the seed.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

from Summer Hill Seed

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice selection Allison

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry there is one from T&M - T&M Prize Strain Improved Mixed

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My deck garden first week.DD planted her tubs yesterday.Its gunna be a flower riot
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/DeckGardenPlanters

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

That is going to look "Marvelous".

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Late July is the real test. Some of these plantings I have reservations about ,too soon to tell.
As we know,the vision of January is a whole lot different from the reality of July

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well mine go in the ground tomorrow and Tuesday. I had them outside but had to move back into the portable garage greenhouses because of cold and now the temp is 95.

I will be planting in pots and placed in filtered sun. I have no idea what I will plant where they normally go. Another adventure.

Also this week the "big meeting" at "The Greenhouse". It has been totally turned over to me except for expenses. I have three experts meeting me on Wednesday along with the owner of the greenhouse. One greenhouse expert, two Horticulturists and the little ol lady from Pioche, Nv., a miners daughter.

Love you all and totally appreciate all your knowledge and helping the "miner's daughter". I could say Coal but it was iron ore and does not rime in the song. LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.