No-till grains in the garden

Moberly, MO

Hi! Haven't posted in a while because I've been doing some reading! (What better thing to do in the dead of winter when we can't garden, right?)
The book is called: 'One Straw Revolution' by Masanobu Fukuoka.

My question is: Has anyone ever actually tried this? If you did, for how long? What grains did you choose to use? I'm going to give it a shot this year, and if I can secure a garden plot permanently, I'm going to see if it helps the soil over a few years.

If you haven't read the book, here's a quick summery:
'One Straw Revolution' is about philisophy, organic gardening, the flaws of human beings, and a bunch of other deep stuff. What I was mostly concerned about was the method he used to grow rice and barley. He grew rice in the summer, and barley in the winter. He used no pesticides, plows, tillers, fertilizers, etc. Of course this can only be used in a small plot, an acre or two at most, since everything is done by hand.

But what makes his method so different is that he sews the next crop into the crop that's already growing.

And then a few weeks later the new crop has sprouted and the old crop is ready to be harvested. The new crop is trampled (but recovers) during harvesting. All the straw is scattered over the new crop for mulch and decompses as fertilzer, and it builds up the organic matter in the soil. Unlike the rice of traditional farmers in that area, the rice isn't partially submerged for it's whole life. The feild is only flooded for a week to weaken the weeds. Clover is used to add nitrogen. No compost is made. I think that's the quickest way to explain it. But here's his website, if you want more details : http://fukuokafarmingol.info/

To repeat my question; has anyone ever tried anything like this? Even if it wasn't with rice, any luck? Heard of anyone doing this?

(Wow, you think all this reading would improve my spelling, huh?)

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!